• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What's The Highest We Have Ever Been In The League?

Bridgy 81

West Brom's is higher but not as exposed.
Yes and I’ve always found that an interesting and slightly odd fact.
I go to and pass by West Bromwich reasonably frequently and it never feels especially high to me.
But as it’s a very built up area and obviously miles away from the sea I suppose it’d hard to tell.
I’d love to watch City play at The Hawthorns though.
Based on my research that hasn’t happened very often in my lifetime i.e. once in 1973 and 3 matches in the early 90s.
Anyone here go to any of those?
ps I realize this thread is about highest league position and not highest football ground 🙂

I go to and pass by West Bromwich reasonably frequently and it never feels especially high to me.
But as it’s a very built up area and obviously miles away from the sea I suppose it’d hard to tell.
Based on my research that hasn’t happened very often in my lifetime i.e. once in 1973 and 3 matches in the early 90s.
ps I realize this thread is about highest league position and not highest football ground 🙂
I went to the Hawthorns in August 1991. Opening game of the season I think. Sunny day. Coach got delayed on way to ground. We lost 6-3 in a very weird game. We were sat high in one of the stands not behind the goal as away fans do now. I recall witnessing fighting by the coaches after the game

Bridgy 81

I went to the Hawthorns in August 1991. Opening game of the season I think. Sunny day. Coach got delayed on way to ground. We lost 6-3 in a very weird game. We were sat high in one of the stands not behind the goal as away fans do now. I recall witnessing fighting by the coaches after the game
Thanks.
I’ve looked that one up on Grecian Archive.
It has a report of the match and the line ups if you’re interested.
Looks like Don Goodman and Kwame Ampadu were in the Baggies’ team that day.
And if it was the Managers who had a scrap at the end that would have been Alan Ball and Bobby Gould.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Back on topic but with some 'relatively easier' games coming up it will be interesting to see where we are after the 10 game benchmark

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seeing as you took the thread off topic.
I was there 1973

Thanks.
I’ve looked that one up on Grecian Archive.
It has a report of the match and the line ups if you’re interested.
Looks like Don Goodman and Kwame Ampadu were in the Baggies’ team that day.
And if it was the Managers who had a scrap at the end that would have been Alan Ball and Bobby Gould.
Should have said beside the coaches. Grown men laying into each other

Bridgy 81

I was there 1973
This will be my last off topic post on this thread (honest).
There’s a lot of information about that match on Grecian Archive too.
3:1 City win in the League Cup?
There’s also a great photo of the team waiting to board the bus at SJP to travel to the Midlands.
Presumably the photographer had asked the players to make the victory sign to show their confident mood.
But at least a couple of them have their two fingers the wrong way around (the smirks lead me to believe that it wasn’t by mistake).

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was there 1973
As was I

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn’t we beat Northampton 5-0 at home on the first game of the season in the early 80s? I think that was the old Division 3.

Plus I’m sure we finished 2nd in the old Division 3 South once, behind aldershot I think (but could be wrong).
Yes we did in the 1930s behind Brentford who only a few seasons later were promoted to the old First Divisio.

Martin Weiler