• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

Andy_H

It might have been slightly earlier but, as far as i can remember it was ECFC v Arsenal in the friendly to inaugurate the 'new' floodlights, that's the old triangle of 3 lights ones. Went with a friend who's Dad was an Asrenal supporter, from a distance - Crediton. We sat in the front row in Old Grandstand, just to the BB side of the old dugouts, was hooked ever since. Have followed City ever since ALL over the world, literally. Even to the extent of getting up at some ridiculas time to of the morning, 0300/0400, to listen to BBC World Service Sport on a short wave radio while sailing across the South Pacific, updating a Danish Bridge Officer on current scores, i wonder if he still 'follows' ECFC! So it could be about 60 years.

As to 'idol', definately Alan Banks, always was and always will be.

Maybe Martin or somebody could tell me the date of that match.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pre-season friendly at home to Chelsea in 1981. Think we lost 1-0 which spurred the Chelsea fans to go on a rampage and smash up The Quay and Tiffany’s later that night. Never had any idols, although Dazza was and still is my favourite ever City player.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Someone may be able to help me here. I'm not certain it was my first game but it's my earliest memory...

We played West Ham in a friendly, maybe late 90s/2000? I believe it was a testimonial.

iscalad

Well you learn something every day.

I thought the 1981 Bridgwater carnival might have inspired your Exeweb name
I thought itvwas his age!!!

JGrecian23

Someone may be able to help me here. I'm not certain it was my first game but it's my earliest memory...

We played West Ham in a friendly, maybe late 90s/2000? I believe it was a testimonial.
Yes I went to that, think it was Dazza's testimonial.

Randomly if it's what I'm thinking of West Ham had Davor Suker (amazing player) playing and he hit the side netting and the tannoy guy announced it as 'first goal for West Ham scored by Davor Suker'. It was a goal kick 😀

JGrecian23

I believe my first City game was an FA Cup game home to Northampton in the 90s with my Grandad but I don't really remember that.

Started going when at school with mates in the 99/00 season and we drew 1-1 against Carlisle I think.

When it got to 2001/02 I started going to every home game then and really got the bug.

Those early years it just seemed like we either lost or at best got a 1-0 with a Flack goal.
Oh and first idol was probably Gary Alexander. My all-time favourite City player was Sean Devine though.

Antony Moxey

4th May 1992. Jim McNichol’s testimonial. 😊

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes I went to that, think it was Dazza's testimonial.

Randomly if it's what I'm thinking of West Ham had Davor Suker (amazing player) playing and he hit the side netting and the tannoy guy announced it as 'first goal for West Ham scored by Davor Suker'. It was a goal kick 😀
My main memory of it is seeing a young Frank Lampard taking a corner in front of the big bank.

I remember Suker playing too. Possibly Nigel Winterburn randomly?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would have been about 2 weeks old so it wasn't that one! 😊

Antony Moxey

Also on 6th September 1994 we played West Ham in Eamonn Dolan’s testimonial.