• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Where are the people that said the Club didn't want to get promoted ?

Grecian_in_Plymouth

I always found it strange that I'd read comments such as

The club don't want to get promoted
We cant afford it in league one
that's why we purposely lost in the play offs.

Which I found bizarre , why would the club not want to get promoted.

I wonder what their views are now?

I'd also like to know the financials of League 1 - and how they do affect our club at a top level .

Boyo

I'd also like to know the financials of League 1 - and how they do affect our club at a top level .
Sheffield Wednesday's playing budget last season was £21m (https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-financial-accounts-picture-23848046).

Ours was £1.5m - £2m.

SW may be extreme (although perhaps Sunderland and Derby are not too far away), but I'd guess that there's a dozen teams in L1 whose playing budget is over £5m. There's probably half a dozen teams whose budget is similar to ours.

4 teams go down.

Cowshed Grecian

You’ll see him one of them next season on the touch line, when we play Morecambe.

Cowshed Grecian

Sheffield Wednesday's playing budget last season was £21m (https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-financial-accounts-picture-23848046).

Ours was £1.5m - £2m.

SW may be extreme (although perhaps Sunderland and Derby are not too far away), but I'd guess that there's a dozen teams in L1 whose playing budget is over £5m. There's probably half a dozen teams whose budget is similar to ours.

4 teams go down.
Yeah that’s ridiculous apparently Barry Bannan is on 20k a week. But it works both ways, he’s probably not hungry at all and happy to be sat back coasting in L1.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster

Ours was £1.5m - £2m.

4 teams go down.
Took a look at "Pisspotty" (for amusement purposes following their car crash against the Dongs ! ). There is a thread on 2021-22 Lge 1 wages taken from Wednesday's Owltalk forum which lists the wage bills of every club. Not sure about the source or accuracy, but an interesting read nonetheless. Wednesday were still top but had halved their spend to just over £10M, Ipswich 2nd at £9M, then Wigan 3rd and Charlton 4th both at just over £6M. Sunderland 5th at £5.998M and then a drop to just over £4M to Portsmouth 6th and Oxford 7th.
8th to 15th were respectively Burton, Wycombe, Rotherham, Bolton, Doncaster, Shrewsbury, Lincoln and MKD all in the £3M+ bracket.
16th-21st respectfully were Fleetwood, Argyle, AFCW, Gillingham, Crewe and Morecambe, all at £2M+.
Cheltenham 22nd, Accrington 23rd, and finally Cambridge with the lowest wage bill at £1.791M which must be pretty close to City's !
The four clubs relegated had the 12th,18th,19th and 20th highest wage bills.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I saw this a few weeks back. Sunderland got relegated to League One in 2018. Total wages were £46.8m that year, dropping to £26.7m the following year, £16.3m in 2020 and £13.4m last year.

Those figures will include non-playing staff but obviously most is player wages.

20220513_184247.png

Christian

There is the usual promoted bounce that comes with going up, and being top of Lg2 probably means we can mix it with the bottom half of league 1 (hoping :)). I think we should be ok, but it wont be easy

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster

Ours was £1.5m - £2m.

4 teams go down.
This is no different to last time we were in L1. Bearing in mind we beat Sheffield Wed five out of the six times we played them, a telling stat was that at the time they were paying Gary Madine more than our entire first team squad with him being on over £26kpw!

sign of the chimes

Took a look at "Pisspotty" (for amusement purposes following their car crash against the Dongs ! ). There is a thread on 2021-22 Lge 1 wages taken from Wednesday's Owltalk forum which lists the wage bills of every club. Not sure about the source or accuracy, but an interesting read nonetheless. Wednesday were still top but had halved their spend to just over £10M, Ipswich 2nd at £9M, then Wigan 3rd and Charlton 4th both at just over £6M. Sunderland 5th at £5.998M and then a drop to just over £4M to Portsmouth 6th and Oxford 7th.
8th to 15th were respectively Burton, Wycombe, Rotherham, Bolton, Doncaster, Shrewsbury, Lincoln and MKD all in the £3M+ bracket.
16th-21st respectfully were Fleetwood, Argyle, AFCW, Gillingham, Crewe and Morecambe, all at £2M+.
Cheltenham 22nd, Accrington 23rd, and finally Cambridge with the lowest wage bill at £1.791M which must be pretty close to City's !
The four clubs relegated had the 12th,18th,19th and 20th highest wage bills.
I understand each club gets notified where they sit in relative wage bill terms each season by the EFL. We were reportedly 10th this season, which sounds about right.

The pasoti/owlstalk list looks like someone might have been on the 'Salary Sport' webpage - which seems to get quoted as fact; when it appears to be a list of salaries taken from the Football Manager series.

Either way - there's no way Rotherham had a mid table budget in L1 this season - and the idea that Argyle had a wage bill lower than the likes of Lincoln and Doncaster following Covid (and the insurance pay out that Argyle got) is ridiculous.

Regardless, as others have said while the budget might help, it's how you spend whatever you've got.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I always found it strange that I'd read comments such as

The club don't want to get promoted
We cant afford it in league one
that's why we purposely lost in the play offs.

Which I found bizarre , why would the club not want to get promoted.

I wonder what their views are now?

I also get frustrated at the typical comment of 'we can't afford to go up'. It doesn't cost more to play in L1. It's up to the individual club what their budget is. Whether it's competitive or not is another matter.