• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

World Cup : Qatar Nov/Dec 2022.

Boyo

To me I'm not so sure, We had this very same conversation (In general) back in the early 2000's when the so called "Golden Generation" were quite young and were told the next tournament they will come good only to fail i think at the QF stages of WC's and Euro's during this period.
2004 we went toe to toe in the Euro QFs against Portugal in their backyard. We looked the better team until Owen went off injured. Even then we only lost on pens.

The 2006 team in Germany was the one where we thought we had a real chance. The team was full of stars. Rooney's metatarsal overshadowed the build up and he was never really fit. Despite the stars, we never played like a team and the players split into London and NW rivalries. A Ronaldo wink and a red card for Rooney and it's another penalty defeat following a dour game with few chances at either end.

2008. The players had no interest in playing for their country and would regularly pull out of games. Steve MacClaren is tactically inept and we didn't even qualify.

South Africa in 2010 was the last chance for the golden generation. We were really poor in the group stage and then lost to Germany (the game when Lampard "scored" but it was never given (it was 2 ft over the line)). By then the stars were on the wane and were overshadowed by their off field antics and the WAG culture. Capello was pretty clueless and had no idea how to handle the players.

For me the current squad is better despite not having the same number of stars. The balance and the variety of players we have now is far superior. The team in that 2000s was full of individuals but they never really played as a team. Just like Belgium's golden generation now.

Southgate is better than his predecessors. He's built the right culture and his man management is excellent. They play for each other and the strength in depth is unreal.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice touch from Kyle Walker and John Stones to bring (Dave the Cat) back home to Manchester from Qatar.

Matt Russell

Nice touch from Kyle Walker and John Stones to bring (Dave the Cat) back home to Manchester from Qatar.
Yep, don't suppose there are any cats in Manchester's RSPCA homes looking for new owners.

Colesman Ballz

Are they going to have some bizarre cat share arrangement or leave him at the Citeh training ground ? The poor little fecker is going to be pretty confused and have to endure 4 months in solitary confinement for quarantine to start with ! 😿

Red Devon

Are they going to have some bizarre cat share arrangement or leave him at the Citeh training ground ? The poor little fecker is going to be pretty confused and have to endure 4 months in solitary confinement for quarantine to start with ! 😿
Think he’s going to be looked after at the training ground

Red Devon

Croatia hanging on a bit there towards the end of the first half. Argentina are a better side than some of the pundits give them credit for.

Banksy

Croatia hanging on a bit there towards the end of the first half. Argentina are a better side than some of the pundits give them credit for.
Croatia can have as much possession as they like , but if they can’t score it’s a fat lot of good. Guess it’ll be Argentina v France and I don’t like either of them.

Red Devon

Croatia can have as much possession as they like , but if they can’t score it’s a fat lot of good. Guess it’ll be Argentina v France and I don’t like either of them.
Fair to say they don’t offer a lot up front.

Banksy

Fair to say they don’t offer a lot up front.
They’ll probably go on and score three now after we’ve said that.😉

DB9

So that's the end of Modric's international career as he's subbed, Not the best ending but he can be very proud.