• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

World Cup : Qatar Nov/Dec 2022.

Bridgy 81

I wonder whether Cristiano has sent Lionel a congratulatory message yet?
No?
Neither do I.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Amazing game of football well worthy of the final.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Two lots of overhype after the game for me. For eighty minutes this was just another game, Argentina two up and in cruise control.......... then Mabappe scored and we had forty minutes of what you would have hoped to have had in the previous eighty. The greatest World Cup Final?? Nah but certainly one of the most exilerating forty minutes football you'll see for a while.
And then you have Messi, don't get me wrong. One of the greatest players of his generation? Along with Ronaldo, without doubt. Greatest player of all time? Nope. He's not even the greatest player from his own country. They say you can't compare because of the differences in football but ask yourself this, would he have survived the brutality handed out to Maradona and Pele (lest we forget, Pele was literally kicked out of the 66 World Cup) in their day and how completely unstoppable would Pele and Maradona be in todays game with all the protection afforded to players on the pitch these days? They'd decimate teams if they played now.

Bridgy 81

That's what happens when you get a former pro refereeing.
I think having referees who have been professional footballers is a good idea and from what I saw today’s ref did well.
But, from what I’ve read he’s been officiating since he was 21 and full time since he was 25, so maybe not an example of the fast track ex-pro that some people advocate.
My observations of the reactions to in-game decisions and in their subsequent interviews current players, managers and pundits don’t even appear to know the rules of the game very well, so I suppose all ex-players wouldn’t make the best refs.

fred binneys head

Two lots of overhype after the game for me. For eighty minutes this was just another game, Argentina two up and in cruise control.......... then Mabappe scored and we had forty minutes of what you would have hoped to have had in the previous eighty. The greatest World Cup Final?? Nah but certainly one of the most exilerating forty minutes football you'll see for a while.
And then you have Messi, don't get me wrong. One of the greatest players of his generation? Along with Ronaldo, without doubt. Greatest player of all time? Nope. He's not even the greatest player from his own country. They say you can't compare because of the differences in football but ask yourself this, would he have survived the brutality handed out to Maradona and Pele (lest we forget, Pele was literally kicked out of the 66 World Cup) in their day and how completely unstoppable would Pele and Maradona be in todays game with all the protection afforded to players on the pitch these days? They'd decimate teams if they played now.
Messi has achieved far more than maradona did (trophies) and has been at the top level of football for far more years.

#TeamMessi

Bridgy 81

Messi has achieved far more than maradona did (trophies).
That’s a bit harsh.
Although I agree with you that Messi has obviously numerically won more domestic titles and cups, Maradona took Napoli to the only two league championships that they have ever won.
That takes some doing with a team which isn’t used to winning much.
Remind you of anyone?

fred binneys head

A bit harsh? I’ll try and upload the stats, see what you think then. Maradona was absolute quality but Messi is miles ahead in terms of achievements.

fred binneys head

514B59ED-6B57-4482-A6E5-2513DF00CB6C.jpeg

Bridgy 81

Fair enough.
That’s me told.
But I still think winning Serie A twice with a club who’s never one it once before or since is a great achievement.

grecIAN Harris

The Champions League stats are a nonsense to draw comparisons with. When Maradona played it was a straight knock out competition over two legs each round not a guaranteed six games every season.