• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Elections 2019

i8cornwall

I can see how that may have arisen i8cornwall. I also find it dubious when individuals around the 'top table' of an organisation all appear to be suit wearing men of a certain age. For all the experience they may bring, they also can stifle progress and growth and inadvertently perhaps promote a culture of exclusivity and insularity.

Having said all that. I am looking for certain aspects from a trust candidate that sit alongside my own requirements as a fan, a fan with hidden disabilities, my values as a person and what i demand of the club as a paying customer and Richard Knight seems to be at the top of my list at the moment although i'm undecided. From his photo on the manifesto page on the trust website he also looks like someone who would fit well into an 'old boys club' (no offence intended) but what's important is that we get people in positions of responsibility who have 100% integrity and who put the fans and the club first.

I wouldn't necessarily vote for a younger candidate just because they are young and can appeal better to younger fans although i can appreciate they may be less set in their ways and amenable to change and open to ideas as a result of their youth.
I think that is what did happen from an outsider looking in point of view and still does now. I must say that since I've had more contact with trustee's through RL activities that this isn't true at all and they are really helpful and broken the sterotype i had of them. I guess people will vote for people they can relate to and feel they will act within there Interest and ideas for the trust/club.

Now if that means a suite wearing middle age person gets voted in is that down to the trust or the "type" (I use that word very losly and don't wish to cause offence to anyone) of people that had been voting and interacting with the trust?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can i just ask why, other than laziness and cost as to why somebody WOULDN'T join the Trust?
I believe people left a few years ago when it was considered that Tisdale and others were overpaid and that Trust contributions were funding these over inflated wages. Others refused to join for this reason. Now that these factors are no longer a consideration why indeed wouldn't fans sign up.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Because, sometimes, people have different ideas of what it should be.

I was a trust member for most of the time I lived abroad, as it was my only real way of supporting the club, despite holding many reservations about it.

Since the club was "saved", and the trust had served it's initial purpose, it has done, and achieved, relatively little. It's lack of ambition, and vision, beyond safety, is why we are where we are today. Rather than donating collected cash, (and I see the membership fee of £2pm as a lack of progression, not a selling point) to refurbish washing machines at the cat and fiddle (this is not real, just an example of how we hear it's used), it should be growing a business portfolio, employing people to generate income for the benefit of the club and local community. I believe @hern was an advocate of this, many years ago.

The club is safe and standing on it's own two feet, and the trust should be more than a safety net.
Not sure that the Trust has the right people or structure to operate businesses Spanky. Everything proceeds very slowly amidst the working groups, sub groups and committees etc. In addition, would it not be in competition with the Club ?

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Not sure that the Trust has the right people or structure to operate businesses Spanky. Everything proceeds very slowly amidst the working groups, sub groups and committees etc. In addition, would it not be in competition with the Club ?
Totally agree on the first but Al, but it should be, and should have been for a long time, an aim. Get the pieces in place.

In direct competition? Depends what businesses it diversified into. We'd be upwards of 1.5 mill invested at this stage. What would you expect that to return?

Alistair20000

Totally agree on the first but Al, but it should be, and should have been for a long time, an aim. Get the pieces in place.

In direct competition? Depends what businesses it diversified into. We'd be upwards of 1.5 mill invested at this stage. What would you expect that to return?
Both the Club and the Trust in business would mean they are in competition unless there was some sort of carve up of business sectors and/or customers between the two. Cannot see it delivering overall VFM.

Lucky to get 1% with money in the Buildo/Bank these days. You might get 5% - 8% on a decent commercial property.

I would prefer the Trust to try to get the freehold of St James Park as property empowers you in this country. Plenty on here don’t agree though on the basis it might attract predatory businessmen. I don’t buy that. It is rather like a couple saying we won’t buy a house in case we divorce or go bust.

Avening Posse

Does anybody know if people living abroad can do it all by email or online this time?. Last time you couldn't, and even with Pete Martin trying to help me, I couldn't get my form back in the timescale ?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nobody has mentioned biscuits yet. Not one.

IndoMike

Nobody has mentioned biscuits yet. Not one.
I'm sure Alistair will raise that topic.

iscalad

I'm sure Alistair will raise that topic.
Topic is not a biscuit.

IndoMike

Topic is not a biscuit.
Crumbs!