• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Unexploded WW2 bomb found in Plymouth

Stelios

Batman-Bomb-77710.gif

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Exeter one was a total f**k up.

But hear the Nazis dropped this bomb on Plymouth because they knew it didn't work.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Don't think they've decided whether to move it or detonate in situ as yet. So isn't he being a bit previous here?
UXBs from the Exeter blitz were put on the back of a lorry and driven out to Meldon Quarry. No elf and safety concerns then.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
UXBs from the Exeter blitz were put on the back of a lorry and driven out to Meldon Quarry. No elf and safety concerns then.
Hants - looks like Manadon is a "Quarry To Far" - at least 3 properties being sacrificed by the look of it.

Stelios

I guess no one would be prepared to sign off on moving it nowadays but as Hants says things were simpler in the past. A few sandbags and a flat bed truck then out to sea or Dartmoor.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
If they blow it where it is and if it contains HE as opposed to being an incendiary bomb then I wouldn't fancy the chances of the properties in the immediate vicinity. I reckon they would much prefer to move it somewhere safer.

Stelios

I had not realised that Exeter University lost an appeal to get their insurers to cover the damage over the Exeter bomb because of a 'War' clause. And as the bomb was originally dropped during a war you're not covered. Surely they have to move it. Even to a local park and then detonate it.

Matt Russell

I had not realised that Exeter University lost an appeal to get their insurers to cover the damage over the Exeter bomb because of a 'War' clause. And as the bomb was originally dropped during a war you're not covered. Surely they have to move it. Even to a local park and then detonate it.
To a local park?
Local...........close to home?
No, don't know enough about Plymouth's geography.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
To a local park?
Local...........close to home?
No, don't know enough about Plymouth's geography.
Central Park? Not much there apart from a small foot all ground.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's on the move at 2pm to Torpoint Ferry slipway. What could go wrong? o_O