• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Candidate Husting

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
NHS not a big company any more? Thought it was the biggest employer in this country? I also know William works for Barclays, they were quite big last time I looked.

Poultice

NHS not a big company any more? Thought it was the biggest employer in this country? I also know William works for Barclays, they were quite big last time I looked.
NHS suit = High quality management ? I rather think not.

Shirley the point was, what could be discerned from reading the manifestos supplied ? Not, do you happen to know one of the candidates ?

The process is flawed, there is no way of rationally differentiating between the candidates based on the information supplied.

Oli

The process is flawed, there is no way of rationally differentiating between the candidates based on the information supplied.
Well I agree with you there. But that is no ones real fault other than the current and past BoS. No one knows what they need to have an opinion on since there is no information in our domain.

Poultice

Well I agree with you there. But that is no ones real fault other than the current and past BoS. No one knows what they need to have an opinion on since there is no information in our domain.
See me, I think anyone that wants it should stand up and say what they are gonna do, then when they get stymied by the incumbents they come back to us via whatever medium is open to them to let us know just what the problem is. They can stick this collective responsibility, keep everything a secret so you can talk a good game but never actually achieve feck all, sh*t for me, let's make them accountable to us like Norrie and his merry men should be accountable to them.

The new plan is the club and trust will speak as one, that don't work for me, I want them clearly defined as being master and servant, and I want to see any arses that aren't in gear getting a kick.

Oli

See me, I think anyone that wants it should stand up and say what they are gonna do, then when they get stymied by the incumbents they come back to us via whatever medium is open to them to let us know just what the problem is. They can stick this collective responsibility, keep everything a secret so you can talk a good game but never actually achieve feck all, sh*t for me, let's make them accountable to us like Norrie and his merry men should be accountable to them.

The new plan is the club and trust will speak as one, that don't work for me, I want them clearly defined as being master and servant, and I want to see any arses that aren't in gear getting a kick.
Do about what though? What needs doing? Increase membership numbers (brave promise!) and revenue are the two big ones. To make a promise on anything else would be foolish, and I include communication.

Red the Paper

Banned
Exeter City is not a big Company so working for a big company in the past with millions of pounds of support and resource is of little use. At my peak 5 years ago I was a top 3 Investment Adviser for Barclays Financial Management. top 3, 5 years on the trot. 3 out of over a 1000. I recall our Commercial Director being introduced to me in Monte Carlo as a mere Head of Savings. I wasn't impressed because Head of Savings Barclays Retail wasn't a leading role in my opinion at the time.

That said I think he is doing a better job at City than his previous position at a multi national.

My own experience representing a multi national in a leading role is a good reason why I couldn't represent BOS myself.

My vote is for the person that can represent me effectively, someone I trust.

Ian Sideman

My own experience representing a multi national in a leading role is a good reason why I couldn't represent BOS myself.
QUOTE]

:D:D

Ha Ha Ha!!

Why's that?

Pete Martin (CTID)

An interesting if not particularly intellectual debate thus far. ;)

From my own perspective it is probably well known on here that I have some affinity with Poults' take on things but that is tempered by a reality of what may be possible and what may not be in the cold light of day.

I am certainly of the view that the existing BoS structure is quite unweildy and could potentially operate more effecively with less incumbents.

When I left the BoS after my previous tenure the "sub-committee" structure was just being set up and that was supposed to have streamilined things and made the BoS more effective. A good idea in principle but I am not convinced (from the outside) that it has acheived either aim.

Oli is right when he suggests that it is rash for any candidate to make claims that certain things can be acheived, partly because of inertia and partly because - as in any organisation - you will have opposing camps and, however laudible and sensible any individual's aims and targets may be, they can only bear fruit if you can get the majority on your side.

I do feel strongly however that BoS members should be aware of the views, aspirations and concerns of the membership through any form of communication channel available (and, yes, for me, that includes Exeweb), try to get a focus on what the major issues are and seek to steer the ship in the right direction. In my view that may not (and perhaps should not) always follow the same course as the Club board and we need to be supportive of same, whilst fiercely retaining the right of independent thought and action.

Poultice

Shirley the objective is to get someone who will represent the membership ?

Methinks we have plenty of souls representing the BoS already.

Poultice

Do about what though? What needs doing? Increase membership numbers (brave promise!) and revenue are the two big ones. To make a promise on anything else would be foolish, and I include communication.
Communication is fine, make the commitment and then keep it, if that means exclusion from the process when there is no mandate from the electorate that will show us that a coup de trust has already taken place.

The only other issue of worth would be the level of governance of the activities of the club board, do we want the BoS to micro manage or not ?

What I would like is for the Eight to say, not just where they stand on these issues, but what exactly they are going to do if elected.