• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle vs Exeter City Matchday thread

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
2. Not so much Tully, we've got Duffers anyway. But in general, we have the same 18 week in, week out. Personally, I'd like to see a new face like Sheps have a twenty minute run in the side.
Duffers ain't a full back and neither is Shep, neither is Billy Jones in case you were labouring under that misapprehension as well.

Where you are 100% spot on is re the skinny nature of the squad, plenty of striking options and a bit of cover in the middle, but at the back we are well short on numbers and quality. Goldy is a decent player but lacks strength in a four which leaves us with having to play the Cheesy way, a system that doesn't suit Matt or Troy. Geoff obviously knows far more about footy than I shall ever, but my worthless opinion is that the inconsistency from which we seem to have suffered for what seems like forever, can be traced directly to the five at the back nonsense and Cheesy's tinkering.

That is all I am saying.

Alistair20000

Duffers ain't a full back and neither is Shep, neither is Billy Jones in case you were labouring under that misapprehension as well.

Where you are 100% spot on is re the skinny nature of the squad, plenty of striking options and a bit of cover in the middle, but at the back we are well short on numbers and quality. Goldy is a decent player but lacks strength in a four which leaves us with having to play the Cheesy way, a system that doesn't suit Matt or Troy. Geoff obviously knows far more about footy than I shall ever, but my worthless opinion is that the inconsistency from which we seem to have suffered for what seems like forever, can be traced directly to the five at the back nonsense and Cheesy's tinkering.

That is all I am saying.

Did you have a senior moment here Poults ?

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have to admit I was not convinced when we signed him. We have some good friends who are Norwich fans who felt he was overweight and lazy but he looks fit and sharp and has scored goals for us.
I have followed Cureton's career ever since he scored against us for Bristol Rovers in an FA Cup game back in the 98/99 season. I knew the lad was class when he came on trial to us and has have said before was chuffed to bits when we signed him, he had a bit of a tough time at Norwich but when they have strikers such as Chris Martin and Grant Holt he was always going to struggle with the age he is plus he was carryng an injury when on loan to the Shrews. He will always have a 'lazy' streak as he is an out and out goal poaching Centre Forward (look at Sean Devine) but in general his workrate is still pretty impressive considering he is 35 and he doesnt even look 35 either IMO

Poultice

Did you have a senior moment here Poults ?
Nope, simply trying to remove one word but the damn edit function was fubar.

Alistair20000

Nope, simply trying to remove one word but the damn edit function was fubar.
Nothing much works any more in this country !

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Fings I learnt from the Argo City game.

1. Tisdale does not rate Jake Thomson
2. We have less depth in the squad than I thought.
3. Jamie Cureton is sh*t. (I knew that already, but hey)
4. Golbourne is proving himself big time this season (and people are finally realising)
5. Steel drum bands are a surefire way of killing atmosphere at football games
6. The referee was dreadful (for both sides)
7. Keith Todd and Paul Stapleton do not talk to each other under any circumstances.
1. Not sure he doesnt rate him , just that he doesnt fit into his game plan , wingers never have.

2. The depth in the strikers is good , Cureton , Logan , Nardeillo , O'flynn are all good players , we lack a back up right back/left midfielder.

3. Cureton is a quality player , he wasnt at his best at arygle but he's the only one who found himself in the position to score a couple times...typical striker.

4. Golbourne doesnt beat the front post often enough with his crosses.

5. agree

6. agree , we should of had a pen and there no37 should never have lasted the 90.

7. dont care.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I have followed Cureton's career ever since he scored against us for Bristol Rovers in an FA Cup game back in the 98/99 season. I knew the lad was class when he came on trial to us and has have said before was chuffed to bits when we signed him, he had a bit of a tough time at Norwich but when they have strikers such as Chris Martin and Grant Holt he was always going to struggle with the age he is plus he was carryng an injury when on loan to the Shrews. He will always have a 'lazy' streak as he is an out and out goal poaching Centre Forward (look at Sean Devine) but in general his workrate is still pretty impressive considering he is 35 and he doesnt even look 35 either IMO
his movement for someone 35 is brilliant , just compare it to say Marcus Stewart...the difference is that Cureton knows where the net is and knows when and not to make the run...

he's done brilliantly for us and will continue to get goals...

Scott Mcgleish at Leyton Orient , Cureton at City , those sort of players are worth there weight in gold.

Grecian_Jay

Fings I learnt from the Argo City game.

1. Tisdale does not rate Jake Thomson
2. We have less depth in the squad than I thought.
3. Jamie Cureton is sh*t. (I knew that already, but hey)
4. Golbourne is proving himself big time this season (and people are finally realising)
5. Steel drum bands are a surefire way of killing atmosphere at football games
6. The referee was dreadful (for both sides)
7. Keith Todd and Paul Stapleton do not talk to each other under any circumstances.
Things I hava learnt from this post:

You know f*ck all about football.

geoffwp

Things I hava learnt from this post:

You know f*ck all about football.
Things I have learnt from THIS post: You know f*ck all about anything.

Grecian_Jay

Things I have learnt from THIS post: You know f*ck all about anything.
You're so mean Geoffrey, luckily I tend to take everything you say tongue-in-cheek. [party]