• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle vs Exeter City Matchday thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fings I learnt from the Argo City game.

1. Tisdale does not rate Jake Thomson
2. We have less depth in the squad than I thought.
3. Jamie Cureton is sh*t. (I knew that already, but hey)
4. Golbourne is proving himself big time this season (and people are finally realising)
5. Steel drum bands are a surefire way of killing atmosphere at football games
6. The referee was dreadful (for both sides)
7. Keith Todd and Paul Stapleton do not talk to each other under any circumstances.
Generally agree but:

3. Disagree with you except he was crap on Saturday. The miss near half time looked even worse on GP.
6. Express & Error reckon he had a good game. I thought he was far too lenient on their No 37 but equally Dunne could have been sent off with a tougher ref.
7. What is your evidence ?

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Generally agree but:

3. Disagree with you except he was crap on Saturday.
Snap Al

Glad someone else is with me on this

angelic upstart

Al,

Cureton is always offside, whines and moans constantly and in true exeweb stylee I need a scapegoat. I've never had one before, I will be to Cureton what PeteUSA is to goalkeepers.

I was sat behind the directors box and they didn't acknowledge each other for the whole time I was there. Admittedly, not much evidence, but some :)

Poultice

Fings I learnt from the Argo City game.

1. Tisdale does not rate Jake Thomson
2. We have less depth in the squad than I thought.
1. Bleeding obvious, he plays wide and has got some pace, I'm surprised Cheesy lets him anywhere near the squad.
2. Really, you thought one right back was sufficient, with no cover ?

Alistair20000

Snap Al

Glad someone else is with me on this
I have to admit I was not convinced when we signed him. We have some good friends who are Norwich fans who felt he was overweight and lazy but he looks fit and sharp and has scored goals for us.

angelic upstart

1. Bleeding obvious, he plays wide and has got some pace, I'm surprised Cheesy lets him anywhere near the squad.
1. Valid point.

2. Not so much Tully, we've got Duffers anyway. But in general, we have the same 18 week in, week out. Personally, I'd like to see a new face like Sheps have a twenty minute run in the side.

Forever7

I'm not so sure that is the case, Duffy can play right-back, but you are guaranteed that he won't cross the half way line. He certainly is no wing-back though. In a 4-4-2, I think he could fill in for Tully, but as a wing-back, we certainly need another option.

I was disappointed Thomson didn't come on at all. We were crying out for some width on the right and Thomson was man of the match at Home Park in the reserves match.

Alistair20000

Al,

Cureton is always offside, whines and moans constantly and in true exeweb stylee I need a scapegoat. I've never had one before, I will be to Cureton what PeteUSA is to goalkeepers.

I was sat behind the directors box and they didn't acknowledge each other for the whole time I was there. Admittedly, not much evidence, but some :)
1) Well he must have been onside on a few occasions this season when he has scored but I agree he tends to get caught.

2) Were you in priveleged seats ? I would not be at all surprised that Todd and Stapleton might not be buddies.

Leg

Well, that game was a bit anticlimactic after my nine year wait. Never mind - it was an otherwise great weekend down in Exeter.

Bring on Sheffield Wednesday!

Poultice

2. Not so much Tully, we've got Duffers anyway. But in general, we have the same 18 week in, week out. Personally, I'd like to see a new face like Sheps have a twenty minute run in the side.
Duffers ain't a full back and neither is Shep, neither is Billy Jones in case you were labouring under that misapprehension as well.

Where you are 100% spot on is re the skinny nature of the squad, plenty of striking options and a bit of cover in the middle, but at the back we are well short on numbers and quality. Goldy is a decent player but lacks strength in a four which leaves us with having to play the Cheesy way, a system that doesn't suit Matt or Troy. Geoff obviously knows far more about footy than I shall ever, but my worthless opinion is that the inconsistency from which we seem to have suffered from for what seems like forever, can be traced directly to the five at the back nonsense and Cheesy's tinkering.

That is all I am saying.