• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Sorry Horse And Head Dray

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Also, Mermaid Yard was named after the Mermaid Inn

DJH2005

Why was 'Pelican' added to the old Ship Inn in Heavitree? That was my nearest local.
Where did you live Pete? I'm a Heavitree fellow through and through.

Wellyred

The Horse and Dray was an utter sh*thole. Second only to The Locomotive for most unfriendly pub in Exeter. The owners were vermin and the customers were scum.

Rejoice at its closure rejoice!
Very Harsh philip....Im from zumerset...only went in there a few times, but forgetting all about its appeal from the outside+o( the landlady and customers made us feel really welcome...

There was this one time we passed...i think against hereford and a bar stool came flying through the window!!

Oldsmobile-88

Red Cow, not just a level crossing, more of a Village
Indeed Stroudy...The houses opposite were known as Red Cow Village..

A great pub years ago,when Jackie Sparks & her father Cliff ran it....It of course would not survive these days,with the Imperial just up the road..

That was the gas fitters pub of choice for a few years(classy bunch!)

Oldsmobile-88

Come to think...The Red Cow was very similar to The Plough at Gravesend!!....

Back on topic...I was surprised top see a bar reopen at the Horse & Dray site..Prime land for flats...Sorry apartments..(it would depend who they were being built for..:D)

axred

The Horse and Dray was an utter sh*thole. Second only to The Locomotive for most unfriendly pub in Exeter. The owners were vermin and the customers were scum.

Rejoice at its closure rejoice!
Two of my favourite pubs in Exeter
Happy new year phil

Oli

But where will Brian take la Shaz now, next time he's in Isca?
Up the sh*tta?

LOG

The Red Lion in Broadclyst took on its name following a fire at a circus which was passing through.

IndoMike

Thats not fair Rog! I reckon you're getting the gen from one of Chips Barbers books, like when we last did this! :-O
Pete.. when I was a kid my mates and I used to do the occasional pub crawl, starting at the Green Gables, then the First and Last on the corner (think it was called something else at the time), the Sawyers, the pub further down Cowick St on the right (someone told me it's a biker's pub now), the pub further down on the left, then the pub on the left under the railway bridge (a tough 'un) then two or three pubs in Bridge Street on the left and right, the pubs in High Street ending up at the Loco and then the Black Horse. I've forgotten all the bloody names of those pubs,, can you fill in some of the gaps.. Haven't been back for 10 years and the memory is very rusty

Last edited:

Swanaldo

The Sawyers, the pub further down Cowick St on the right (someone told me it's a biker's pub now).
Sawyer's is a Wetherspoons now. The Roadhouse/Showman is the pub someone alluded to being boarded-up earlier in the thread. You'd have had The Devonport on the right and The Mint on the left as you went up Fore Street.