• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Away end collapsed

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Calm down everyone. This is a minor slip in the perimetet wall and bank, and the away teracing in not affected at all.
JW, the main point is that this could still have killed several people if it had come down at a busy time.

Rog H K

As long as the head isn't in the Hat !!!:-O Wasn't there a plague pit somewhere around St James?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have been concerned about that wall for a number of years, particularly as it leaned outwards in places – a sure sign that something was wrong. From memory I think that the Well Street/St. James’ Road corner could be just as bad as the section that came down. Immediately after being party to the Drivers Jonas Report I took a large number of photographs of the ground, both inside and outside, which would have shown this problem. Ironically I only deleted most of them from my computer only about a month ago.

I was concerned because I was in the process of buying my current home in Westward Ho! at the same time, and noticed a similar problem (although not so bad) with a peripheral wall on the boundary of the property. The wall is about 15 ft high on the inside and about 7 ft high on the outside, where it supports the adjacent county highway and had cracked in a couple of places. The wall was shown on the deeds as being in the ownership of the property, so, before I completed the purchase, I arranged for the County Highways Principal Structural Engineer with specific responsibility for walls to come up from Newton Abbot to check its stability as I thought that the County Council would also have some liability if it ever fell down. The engineer confirmed that, provided the cracks were repointed within a 3 year period, then it was safe. He also confirmed my point that, as it was a retaining wall for the highway, the County Council would have some degree of liability if it failed.

Frankly I’m disappointed that a similar structural appraisal has not carried out on the away end wall. After all the Chairman is the ex County Engineer and we have employed a host of consultants from various land related professions to look at that particular area with a view to redevelopment.

The Club’s public liability insurance will cover damage to the cars. The Club must also hold insurance relating to the ground. Consequently I assume that this wall will be repaired post haste in order to be particularly ready for a large play off crowd.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
JW, the main point is that this could still have killed several people if it had come down at a busy time.
True, though I expect there would have been some preliminary movement and noise before the event. The H&S people brought a sniffer dog and an imager in to check. But I wasn't commenting about that, more the idea that this might lead to the terace being shut permanently or for an extended period. But the more detailed comment in your second post is well taken.

chunkymorrinmunter

Will it, or is it the landlord's responsibility? Depends on the wording of the lease I guess?

Meanwhile, my pals and I, having taken a look today, were intrigued by the old felt hat that appeared to have been buried in that structure for God knows how many years....

]​

Hats off to Kirky??
Probadly Athur Chadwicks hat.

Rog H K

Probadly Athur Chadwicks hat.
I think it is this guys?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Apparently the Torquay fans enjoyed this, singing about how St James Park is falling down at their game today. :$

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Apparently the Torquay fans enjoyed this, singing about how St James Park is falling down at their game today. :$
What?

BOTH OF THEM??? :-O

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unlike Torquay who aren't falling down, but going down.

FAN-TATIC

The Club’s public liability insurance will cover damage to the cars. The Club must also hold insurance relating to the ground. Consequently I assume that this wall will be repaired post haste in order to be particularly ready for a large play off crowd.
Genuine question rightwing.

I thought the owner of the ground was a Exeter City Council. This being the case is it not their responsibility to carry out repairs and to be insured to do so. Why would it be down to City to maintain something which is not theirs?

I understand that the 3 stands are not owned by ECC so City meet the costs of maintaining them.