• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Exeter City v Portsmouth prediction thread

Max Payne 2

We were favourites with the bookies last season and were looking over our shoulders till late April. I hope this season will be an improvement but wouldn't have us down as favourites.
What I've seen you guys should, on paper mind, be expecting the playoffs at least.

AlanDevlin

Pompey are a good side... We'll play well against them.... Its the crap teams that are our banana skins.

2-2 Keohane with both.... 4987 through the gate.

davecg

As like so many games last season, we'll have the majority of pocession, concede from their first attack, spend the rest of the game creating **** all and lose 1-0.
5500 in attendance

Terryhall

If we play the way we played for the first hour at Tupi we'll lose 5-0, were you there?

City 0-3 Pompey.
I was in the country but not at the match :)

From what I heard the next morning, the first half we were crap but the 2nd half we were much brighter?

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was in the country but not at the match :)

From what I heard the next morning, the first half we were crap but the 2nd half we were much brighter?
Remove 'much' from that sentence and it's about right! If we play like we did for the final half hour v Flum we'll match anyone in this league. The problem though - as it has been for a few seasons now - is that being good for half hour and ****e for an hour is not a recipe for success.

LL

Last edited:

butch

Going for a 3-2 win for city

Or

2-1 win for city
I am going for a City or pompey win, or maybe even a draw.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Remove 'much' from that sentence and it's about right! If we play like we did for the final half hour v Flum we'll match anyone in this league. The problem though - as it has been for a few seasons now - is that being good for half hour and ****e for an hour is not a recipe for success.

LL
The reality of 4th division football against the likes of Burton and Hartlepool are a million miles away from a showcase game against a side of Brazilian "wannabes".... The key is how well we compete physically, not an attribute that will have been a major requirement during the trip to South America....

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
What I've seen you guys should, on paper mind, be expecting the playoffs at least.
Listening to Talksport radio, some pundit tipped Pompey, Luton and Northampton as pretty certain to go up.

My take on the match 2-3 Pompey

Lstevens

I'll go 2-1 to city. Jimmy will score the first, Holmes will equalise for Pompey and then like a true skipper Bennett will score the winner late on. Attendance 5867

sign of the chimes

Cheers Max Payne 2 - I suspect I'm towards the less optimistic end of the spectrum - the play-offs would be a good return. I think we've got more attacking options than we had at the start of last season and have the potential to set up differently according to opponents/state of the game. Not so sure whether or not we've strengthened enough at the back - though the defensive midfield 2 we have - Dunne and Hollands - should certainly improve our solidity as a unit overall. Just can't wait to get to kick-off now.