• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Exeter City v Portsmouth prediction thread

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is Paul Jones likely to be your first choice 'keeper?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Listening to Talksport radio, some pundit tipped Pompey, Luton and Northampton as pretty certain to go up.

My take on the match 2-3 Pompey
It's lazy punditry though. I bet at least one promoted team will be a 'surprise'. Someone like a Dagenham could be in the mix judging by some of their business this summer. Wimbledon have both Tubbs and Akinfenwa up top and will be a threat too.

Re Saturday's game, I think 1-1. We Will take the lead through woodman and the Coles will score a 94th minute own goal when under no pressure he slices a clearance into his own net.

Barum

I was in the country but not at the match :)

From what I heard the next morning, the first half we were crap but the 2nd half we were much brighter?
That's about right.

So a first half like that against any League 2 team will be game over at H/T!!

Barum

The reality of 4th division football against the likes of Burton and Hartlepool are a million miles away from a showcase game against a side of Brazilian "wannabes".... The key is how well we compete physically, not an attribute that will have been a major requirement during the trip to South America....
In that case Malc we might as well write off the season before it starts!

At LHR close up the entire squad apart from Baldwin & Coles looked about 12 years old with bodies to match!!

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
A resounding 2-0 City win as Fortress St James is rebuilt ...

StroudGrecian

Will always be a City favourite having scored the winner against Argyle. Legend.

grecIAN Harris

Like a few others, I fancy a 2-1 win.

sign of the chimes

LOG said:
Is Paul Jones likely to be your first choice 'keeper?
I'd say it's 80%. We signed him and Poke (from Torquay) - but Jones has played week in week out consistently for the past couple of seasons at Crawley - and in League 1 to boot.

Last edited:

sign of the chimes

It's lazy punditry though. I bet at least one promoted team will be a 'surprise'. Someone like a Dagenham could be in the mix judging by some of their business this summer. Wimbledon have both Tubbs and Akinfenwa up top and will be a threat too.

Re Saturday's game, I think 1-1. We Will take the lead through woodman and the Coles will score a 94th minute own goal when under no pressure he slices a clearance into his own net.
Yep, we were 'tipped' heavily last season on the basis of the bookies (whose odds are reflected by the amount of money lumped on to the market) pricing us short. We'd assembled an entirely new squad over the summer (started with about three pros on the books) without a scouting network. I fancy Newport to surprise the bookies this year.

Saturday is a lottery - opening games always are - a result for either team could spark some serious momentum.

Silver fox

I'd say it's 80%. We signed him and Poke (from Torquay) - but Jones has played week in week out consistently for the past couple of seasons at Crawley - and in League 1 to boot.
Decent keeper chimes, but like most can drop the odd *******, here's hoping he does Saturday :p have a good day Pal.