• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge Utd v Exeter CIty match day thread

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disagree Al, people would be reasonably happy if we just played entertaining football rather than trying to bore the opposition (and support) to death. I can't understand tinters sticking the boot in to fellow fans for wanting to us to aspire to this.

EVERY City fan would have been overjoyed with the win at Cambridge, whether you're pro/anti Tisdale, doesn't even enter the equation.
Hear, hear. I was also pleased to hear that this was the best we had played in a long time.

Now whether the change in tactics are to do with the petition, remains to be seem. It could be a coincidence, or he could have seen the discontent and realised that it couldn't go on. Either way, 4 points from our last two games has to be a positive.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
All good points - read and understood.

My argument is against the now well-established idea on Exeweb that those who don't see the scandal in City's recent ON-FIELD turn for the worse have a rose tinted view of the club. Quite the opposite, I know we're going to struggle desperately at times, so bleak is my view of ECFC's place in the scheme of things.

Maybe some (the real rose-tinters) would believe a chief exec who arrives and says his aim is to make us as well supported as the rugby club and a few tweaks to ticketing will help us on our way. I knew from that first statement that he was in the wrong job and that he'd make things worse.

We must address the Tis contract/salary situation, which is silly and divisive. We must seek to entertain at home, because anything else is to mis-understand what football is all about. But, in my view, we fans must not follow those of most other clubs (Newcastle, pathetic!) and instead seek to use the power that we SHOULD have at ECFC to help the club sort things out. Let's use our brains to make changes, not least by nagging our elected Trustees to flex their muscles.

Lots and lots to discuss, I know, and it's in threads all over Exeweb. Like I say, my specific point is about the rose tinted view label - I don't think everything is awesome and rosy. I just think supporting ECFC is going to involve good times and bad, and we have to hold our nerve (and do our best to help) when faced with the latter.

Yours in the dark, dark glasses.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... pleased to hear that this was the best we had played in a long time. ... It could be a coincidence, or he could have seen the discontent and realised that it couldn't go on. ...
Or it could simply be the culmination of a prolonged period of shaping and effort.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
No one is saying it won't be a battle to compete, but come on we're talking about heavyweights such as Daggers, Morecambe, Accy, Rochdale, Bury, Cambridge, Newport, Cheltenham, York etc.
Watch out for those little Manc and London area clubs. Very easy for them to churn through players without committing to long contracts, bringing them in cheap, off-loading them easily, etc. Worth a few hundred thousand on the player budget, I reckon.

All I want is positive atmosphere around the club, which starts from the top.
Yes, Agreed. Some very sloppy work on that score from Tis, the old chairman, the Trust and many more besides. Easily addressed too - a kind of PR cycle of humble apology to enthusiastic acceptance of challenge to pleas for support to sharing glory or returning to humble apology as necessary would do the trick. We're stuck in the not very helpful 'blame' phase!

Right, bank statement to do....

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watch out for those little Manc and London area clubs. Very easy for them to churn through players without committing to long contracts, bringing them in cheap, off-loading them easily, etc. Worth a few hundred thousand on the player budget, I reckon.

Yes, Agreed. Some very sloppy work on that score from Tis, the old chairman, the Trust and many more besides. Easily addressed too - a kind of PR cycle of humble apology to enthusiastic acceptance of challenge to pleas for support to sharing glory or returning to humble apology as necessary would do the trick. We're stuck in the not very helpful 'blame' phase!

Right, bank statement to do....
Don't come out with thise excuses about location again. Get out there, get scouting and you'll find plenty of players would walk to SJP for a contract.

On the up

With regards to Tisdale and Baldwin, I thought there was tension between them during the second half of last season, I don't think Baldwin would have been here this season however he was already contracted, we now have JMT back and Tisdale now seems to favour Oakley at the back so Baldwin isn't a must like he was at the start of the season.

For the record I quite like Baldwin as a player and professional.
Not sure about rumours of fallout. Unless they are arguing over which surgeon to use. Pat is injured, not dropped. Expect him to have operation on knee very soon. Still suggestions of fallout based on rumours makes more interesting reading. However. The fact is we will miss Pat. On his day he can be a very influential player for us. Hope he recovers quickly.

FAN-TATIC

All good points - read and understood.

My argument is against the now well-established idea on Exeweb that those who don't see the scandal in City's recent ON-FIELD turn for the worse have a rose tinted view of the club. Quite the opposite, I know we're going to struggle desperately at times, so bleak is my view of ECFC's place in the scheme of things.

Maybe some (the real rose-tinters) would believe a chief exec who arrives and says his aim is to make us as well supported as the rugby club and a few tweaks to ticketing will help us on our way. I knew from that first statement that he was in the wrong job and that he'd make things worse.

We must address the Tis contract/salary situation, which is silly and divisive. We must seek to entertain at home, because anything else is to mis-understand what football is all about. But, in my view, we fans must not follow those of most other clubs (Newcastle, pathetic!) and instead seek to use the power that we SHOULD have at ECFC to help the club sort things out. Let's use our brains to make changes, not least by nagging our elected Trustees to flex their muscles.

Lots and lots to discuss, I know, and it's in threads all over Exeweb. Like I say, my specific point is about the rose tinted view label - I don't think everything is awesome and rosy. I just think supporting ECFC is going to involve good times and bad, and we have to hold our nerve (and do our best to help) when faced with the latter.

Yours in the dark, dark glasses.
I go along with what you have stated here Alan. I want what is best for my, sorry our club. I realise however, that football is very much about money and access to it. I never expect City to win, I always hope that they will. Throughout the years that I have supported the Club it has been more misery than delight, but when the delight comes what a wonderful feeling it is.

Rose Tinter? I don't recognise the term. I am a supporter of a Exeter City and I try very hard to give a balanced view
point on here. Not everthing is perfect, not everything is bad.

ECFC_George

[video=youtube_share;5e4WfWGT5kQ]http://youtu.be/5e4WfWGT5kQ[/video]

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I´m not sure any one thinks we should be top half of league one every season considering that very rarely happens and following city does usually mean taking a few bad results on the way. In fact in Tisdales first seasons I was quite a big fan and he did well and it was very good fun supporting city in that period.

I have been watching city since about the 97/98 season and what I can not accept is 7, 8, 9, 10 games in a row each season without a win. A record of 2 home wins in 20 is not acceptable. I can accept that I can not expect much from city but I do expect more than the results we have been getting recently.

There are always going to the people that have always disliked Tisdale WMM, Grecian Jay, peteUSA etc, I remember thinking they were the trolls of exeweb a few years back, the worrying thing is now that nearly everyone on exeweb agrees with them and people like Geoff and GOG look like the trolls.
:eek:...........

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
you'll find plenty of players would walk to SJP for a contract.
Surely you, of al people, would be looking for a bit more pace than that?