• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge Utd v Exeter CIty match day thread

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at those two goals - they are lovely pieces of football, weighted passes along the floor, good running off the ball to make the space. But I am worried that the reason why we beat Cambridge was that they hadn't done their homework on us and being new to the division weren't as familiar as a lot of teams are on our weak points. Just like Portsmouth on the first day of the season they underrated our ability to control the game if we are given time on the ball. That certainly won't be the case on Saturday, and we still need to develop other tactics going forward as a variation on trying to score goals like the Dutch team of the 70s did. I hope I am being overly paranoid, and these are obviously complete guesses as I saw one game last season and none so far this.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at those two goals - they are lovely pieces of football, weighted passes along the floor, good running off the ball to make the space. But I am worried that the reason why we beat Cambridge was that they hadn't done their homework on us and being new to the division weren't as familiar as a lot of teams are on our weak points. Just like Portsmouth on the first day of the season they underrated our ability to control the game if we are given time on the ball. That certainly won't be the case on Saturday, and we still need to develop other tactics going forward as a variation on trying to score goals like the Dutch team of the 70s did. I hope I am being overly paranoid, and these are obviously complete guesses as I saw one game last season and none so far this.
you are being over paranoid, IMO ANY team in this division that wants to take us on, as opposed to sitting 10ish behind the ball, we can compete with. and woe betide them, as was the case on Tuesday if they are not as good as they thought they were, or have an off night/ day.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure about rumours of fallout. Unless they are arguing over which surgeon to use. Pat is injured, not dropped. Expect him to have operation on knee very soon. Still suggestions of fallout based on rumours makes more interesting reading. However. The fact is we will miss Pat. On his day he can be a very influential player for us. Hope he recovers quickly.
So with scot out this weekend, wonder who will be captain this week?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
In terms of seniority, surely Oakley?
(or possibly Sercs - just to annoy Hants)?

Though, based of the Tis track record, will almost certainly be a to$$up between Davies, Butterball (or Noble?)

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
In terms of seniority, surely Oakley?
(or possibly Sercs - just to annoy Hants)?

Though, based of the Tis track record, will almost certainly be a to$$up between Davies, Butterball (or Noble?)
Woodman wore the armband in the second half on Tuesday.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Woodman wore the armband in the second half on Tuesday.
Cheers.

Ten character thingy.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Or it could simply be the culmination of a prolonged period of shaping and effort.
(rofl)

Tisdale has had the majority of these players for a long time now, setting up cautiously with generally one up front and everyone back for corners. Maybe nothing to do with the petition but we appear to be trying to do something we weren't doing before. Don't know why we weren't doing it a year ago but better late than never.

I will say that we have played very well in some games over the past two and a bit years away from home. Tisdale has managed to get a decent number of wins away by playing on the counter attack, but one of his biggest failings is trying to do the same thing at home instead of just trying to attack. Delighted with the away points we have gained In that time but we keep coming back to two home wins in twenty games.

Hope we don't have a prolonged wait of shaping and effort before that is rectified.B-)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Our 155 away attendance was 3rd best in L2 on Tuesday night. Luton took 445 to York and Southend took 196 to Cheltenham.

Silver fox

Our 155 away attendance was 3rd best in L2 on Tuesday night. Luton took 445 to York and Southend took 196 to Cheltenham.
That Luton turnout is mighty impressive on a Saturday, let alone a Tuesday night.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
A previous Camb v City encounter. A splendid City goal and a fine save, two woeful goals conceded from corners and all manner of flared fan of the fair, including weird pitch invasion forward rolls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TjWX6Pqwuw