• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Return of Paul Jones

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Peter Shearing used to live next door to a work friend of mine, the house had been rented by ECFC for him, on an estate near Middlemoor. I was lucky to have met him on several occasions when my friend had parties, a really nice person. Didn't he leave ECFC and go to Gillingham?
Yes, he moved to Gillingham, Andy. We played them not long after he left at SJP, winning 1-0. I still rated him pretty much as the best GK since George Hunter. And I know Miller went on to play in the Prem. but that statuesque thing he used to do used to **** me off somewhat. He didnt always get it right.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, he moved to Gillingham, Andy. We played them not long after he left at SJP, winning 1-0. I still rated him pretty much as the best GK since George Hunter. And I know Miller went on to play in the Prem. but that statuesque thing he used to do used to **** me off somewhat. He didnt always get it right.
liked shearing but have always thought Bob Wilson improved us.p

Colesman Ballz

liked shearing but have always thought Bob Wilson improved us.p
I remember Wilson's debut. He had a pedigree which included playing in European Cup Winners Cup Semi Final with Cardiff. He couldn't cope with the wind, and virtually every kick he made from the Big Bank end, finished up in the Old Grandstand !

Andy Holloway

I remember Wilson's debut. He had a pedigree which included playing in European Cup Winners Cup Semi Final with Cardiff. He couldn't cope with the wind, and virtually every kick he made from the Big Bank end, finished up in the Old Grandstand !
i have the same problem after eating Brussels sprouts or Baked Beans!!!

Grecian2K

i have the same problem after eating Brussels sprouts or Baked Beans!!!
Or a pre-match session at the legendary FECRACE?

Early Bath

Personally I reckon Bert Hoyle and Barney Singleton would beat the lot of them :D

PeteUSA

Personally I reckon Bert Hoyle and Barney Singleton would beat the lot of them :D
Not George Hunter EB?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
As far as I can remember, Hugh Kelly was first team 'keeper while Barney (he with the 'Andy Capp' hat) mostly turned out for the stiffs.

Best 'keeper I've seen playing for City was former Celtic player George Hunter. Hunter was said to be the best in the division even when England's Reg Mathews played for Coventry in the Third Division South.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?51230-Former-Players

Just in case some of our older posters don't know where to talk about EX players.

Seems the last 20 posts have no bearing on the return of Jonah.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Hoping to see Jones start Saturday against Coventry , I think Pyms made mistakes against Newport & WBA when letting in soft goals