• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Dean Moxey

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
You're right, he should be good enough, but he isn't. He's solid and good in the air, but when he has come in lately we've struggled. His distribution is poor and he's very slow. Our teams since Jayden went have performed best when we move the ball quickly and accurately from the back, through a midfield where all the players are comfortable on the ball . Aaron doesn't do that and so often has to lump it long. Not too bad when Jayden was here and it could work with Ryan to a lesser extent. However, Ryan's not here against Mansfield so we will need to retain the ball and use it well. No room for Aaron in that sort of game.
Agree with this to a certain extent but Troy Brown chose the long ball to nobody almost every time he got the ball on Saturday. Brown is similar, very good defensively, excellent sometimes, but tends to give the ball away.

On topic, Moxey has proved this season that centre back is now his best position and he has been actually brilliant there at times. Very aware, solid, sometimes caught out of position but not often and knows when to clear it and when to pass it. Close to my player of the season behind Nicky Law.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree with this to a certain extent but Troy Brown chose the long ball to nobody almost every time he got the ball on Saturday. Brown is similar, very good defensively, excellent sometimes, but tends to give the ball away.

On topic, Moxey has proved this season that centre back is now his best position and he has been actually brilliant there at times. Very aware, solid, sometimes caught out of position but not often and knows when to clear it and when to pass it. Close to my player of the season behind Nicky Law.
His conversion to centre back will help to add a year or two to his career, as opposed to getting knackered running up and down the wings.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

My take, of no real value as I'm sure Matt Taylor is well aware of all these issues:

Troy Brown tends to over-hit the ball, it's true, but this is a sensible strategy for a central defender at our level - under-hit balls are MUCH more risky than over-hit ones.

Dean Moxey is better at centre half (better still on the left of a three) because he has cover both inside and out and is less vulnerable to being "skinned". I also think Pierce Sweeney is better on the right of a back 3, especially with Kyle Wilson in front of him.

So, as we don't have a genuine holding midfield player I would if everyone is fit play a back 3 / 5 of Wilson, O'Shea, Brown, Moxey and Woodman. Taylor, Law and Boateng in front of them, Jay and Bowman (after his one game ban). Sweeney, A Martin, Holmes, Collins, Forte and L Martin on the bench.

CC

So, as we don't have a genuine holding midfield player I would if everyone is fit play a back 3 / 5 of Wilson, O'Shea, Brown, Moxey and Woodman. Taylor, Law and Boateng in front of them, Jay and Bowman (after his one game ban). Sweeney, A Martin, Holmes, Collins, Forte and L Martin on the bench.
Is it fair to say that Williams is yet to make his mark?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is it fair to say that Williams is yet to make his mark?
At least he has made it on the pitch unlike Jaden Brown.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
His conversion to centre back will help to add a year or two to his career, as opposed to getting knackered running up and down the wings.
Craig Woodman seems to be doing ok as an aging full-back. I still find it mystifying that Deano looked relatively shaky at full-back where he has played most of his career but an absolute rock in his new position in the middle.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's a lot of quality to have on the bench, and no space in the squad for Randell Williams or Donovan Wilson. It makes you wonder what will happen next season when not only will Will Dean be pushing for a place in the team but also, hopefully, the likes of Smallcombe, Sparkes and a few others are also in the picture as well.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's a lot of quality to have on the bench, and no space in the squad for Randell Williams or Donovan Wilson. It makes you wonder what will happen next season when not only will Will Dean be pushing for a place in the team but also, hopefully, the likes of Smallcombe, Sparkes and a few others are also in the picture as well.
This - next season’s squad - is a topic worthy of a thread of its own.we have more than 30 professionals available to MT and more emerging from the youth. Something has to give.

But then again of the first five players listed by JW the first two are WBA players; and will return there at the end of this season. The last two will turn 34 and 37 during next season.

What I hope is that our youngsters will be good enough to match the youngsters that we have got in on loan; in other words that we play our youngsters, not somebody else’s!

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great picture of Deano celebrating and I had no idea he always wears an AS9 wristband during matches.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A very special guy have spoken to him many times City through and through. May possibly be the man to whom we owe our football team. Had he not scored that wonder goal against Doncaster to put us in the pot for the draw which took us to Old Trafford it is very arguable, even with all the great fund raising schemes being run at the time, as to whether the Club would have been able to stay in business.