• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sutton United Matchday Thread

Positive spin

In retrospect I feel MT chose the wrong formation and to a lesser extent the wrong players.

Playing 3 at the back at the expense of a midfielder invited Sutton onto us and they certainly had the ability to do just that and it was just luck and superb defending from Ray and Dawson that kept us in it. Perhaps it was the old Tisdale tactic of letting the oppos wear themselves out and then hit them on the break, in which case it worked, but why put ourselves through that when if we'd taken the game to them from the start we might have had a more comfortable afternoon. I'd have liked to see us start in a 4:3:2:1 formation with Atangana playing as the defensive midfielder. Sweeny being poor and Taylor outstanding is not the whole truth, perhaps actually changing to an offensive formation was the reason for our improvement. I'd also have introduced Edwards far earlier and don't start me on the somewhat contentious issue of Caprice playing left back, I hate it and think Daniels should have been given a chance.

Still, we won and MT can take the credit for that, 3 valuable points! In fact the opinion that we could have could have been better is nothing but encouraging. Up the City!
Caprice put in two decent left footed crosses into the box

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Nombe and Ray in the EFL's L2 team of the week

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Caprice put in two decent left footed crosses into the box
I think Caprice has been surprisingly effective at left wing back and we've barely conceded a goal since he started playing there. However, I'm not sure he would be my first pick to start at left back if we moved to 4 but then I'm not sure which of our many options I'd prefer.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think Caprice has been surprisingly effective at left wing back and we've barely conceded a goal since he started playing there. However, I'm not sure he would be my first pick to start at left back if we moved to 4 but then I'm not sure which of our many options I'd prefer.
I am of the same view.

Quite a stat - in Caprice's 8 starts this season we have conceded the grand total of 3 goals

(that includes games before he was playing LWB)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sutton fans quite complimentary about their SJP experience on their forum (not the result but the atmosphere and stewarding etc.)

Boyo

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sutton fans quite complimentary about their SJP experience on their forum (not the result but the atmosphere and stewarding etc.)
Shows that ECFC is a proper football club, which we all knew anyway.

Memphis09

I disagree with their manager they should have got more/anything from the game. The battled hard but had no end product at all. Our quality in the final third won it and it was comfortable once we’d scored. A bit of a lesson in the gap between the better sides form then IMO.
Think they tired in the last thirty when the game opened up and we finished much the stronger team
At long last a strong bench to change things
Think though if it had been us away I would of been disappointed not to have won but how many times have we been to games when we have lost and should of won ....... loads and loads of times UTC

Boyo

As is so often the case with sport it really was fine margins on Saturday. IF Wilson's shot had been an inch lower it would have bounced down behind the line, IF Ray's goalline clearance had been 6 inches either side they would have scored. Nombe's first goal was a massive stroke of luck. I'm not sure what he was actually trying to do. The right decision would have been a cut back to Brown on the penalty spot.

IF Sutton had gone ahead they would have fully deserved that lead. Our first did feel somewhat against the run of play. I do agree we dominated the last 20 minutes, and I'm not sure Sutton had a sniff once we were ahead.