• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Ashford Grecian

How nice will it be for a cold to just be a cold? If you're too unwell to work, stay home. If you're well enough to work, go to work.

I can't wait. No more daily reminders on how many are unwell or how many have died.
And hopefully all this panic testing can be binned as well

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm guessing it will be, testing won't be free anymore I shouldn't think.

With scrapping the need for self isolation, what's the point in testing?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Excellent article on this by the very left wing Professor Sunetra Gupta in the Torygraph today.

Mr Jinx

Excellent article on this by the very left wing Professor Sunetra Gupta in the Torygraph today.
Any chance you could post us some highlights with it being behind a paywall n all?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very left-wing?! That aside, by her own admission she's been wrong about lots of things COVID:

Alistair20000

Very left-wing?! That aside, by her own admission she's been wrong about lots of things COVID:
Less wrong than serial inept modellers such Neil Ferguson

Alistair20000

Check her out. By her own statements she is left of SKS. Google is your friend.

Here is a direct quote.

Of course, I do have deeply held political ideals — ones that I would describe as inherently Left-wing. I would not, it is fair to say, normally align myself with the Daily Mail.

I have strong views about the distribution of wealth, about the importance of the Welfare State, about the need for publicly owned utilities and government investment in nationalised industries.

But Covid-19 is not a political phenomenon. It is a public health issue — indeed, it is one so serious that the response to it has already led to a humanitarian crisis. So I have been aghast to see a political rift open up, with outright abuse meted out to those who, like me, question the orthodoxy.

At the heart of our proposal is the recognition that mass lockdowns cause enormous damage.

Alistair20000

Any chance you could post us some highlights with it being behind a paywall n all?
Its a long piece and to try to paraphrase it is difficult but here goes.

It is titled "Mass testing is preventing us from getting back to normal"

1. Mass testing has created a mess.

2. At an individual level knowing your infection status is very helpful. e.g. If you are planning to visit vulnerable family and friends, but positive tests can have significant negative impacts: loss of income and opportunity that hits the poorer hardest. She quotes a study that up to 1/3 of positive tests were for people who were non infectious.

3. We are permanently crawling with germs. Expecting the individual to bear responsibility for an infection he or she passes on creates a state of permanent guilt.

4. We should be very careful during a pandemic to protect the vulnerable but once a disease becomes endemic "there is little else we can do other than not visit granny if we have a fulminant cold."

5. Self isolation and being told we may have been in contact with someone who has tested positive has done little to stop the spread of infection over the past few months but it has impacted delivery of healthcare and education. Sanctioning the use of tests that suggest people are contagious when they are not magnifies the problems.

6. Even with perfect tests we would still have vast numbers of key workers unable to function and children denied education and the intellectual and emotional stimulation that our education system seeks to provide. We would still endure our lives being endlessly disrupted, all this having scant impact on the prevalence of an infection in its endemic state.

7. Accurate testing would have been useful at the start of the pandemic to assess the the progression of the pandemic and the effects of the restrictions. It was unforgivable to use a faulty testing system which transferred societal responsibilities to the individual sentencing many to loss of livelihood, education, social contact and hope. And we are still doing this.

Then the conclusion and in full:

"Continuing with a mass testing, mass isolation strategy in response to a disease that has become endemic is merely piling up the misery. The government must change course ."

With apologies to the lady if I have got anything wrong.

tavyred

5000 fewer excess deaths than the 5 year average for last month. It’s over. 👍

DB9

5000 fewer excess deaths than the 5 year average for last month. It’s over. 👍

This is not some conspiracy website, This is the ONS, We've done what we needed to, Most of us (Vaccinated x2 Boosted as well) The virus has Knocked the economy sideways, Delayed other treatments leaving the biggest waiting lists ever and will increase for at least 2 years, It is time we moved on, Keeping cautious and if you feel unwell, like other ailments stay home, If you want to wear a mask then it's should be dictated by you not the law. This virus is not going away and we do have to live with it, Countries trying a Zero Covid policy will find it near impossible to do, Spain and the Canary Islands have lost billions because of the rules staying in place so tourists are cancelling bookings or going elsewhere, Its not a case of poor holidaymakers not being able to go, Its peoples livelihoods that are being wiped out, Restrictions, Lockdowns, Open up and then repeat is doing more harm than good.