• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County vs Exeter City, Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Alex Hartridge was also my man of the match.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

For the first time since 1990 it's on. We are like a relentless juganaut that won't be stopped just like were then.
Steady Ian...

Reactions: WXF

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Exeter City boosted their League Two title hopes with a narrow win at Newport County."

I cant remember the last time I read that!!!

It says Dieng 'bundled it home'. Utter nonsense, it was a great header. And as for their manager moaning about set pieces, we'll Dieng should have scored from a corner 5 minutes earlier!

Jammers20

Listened on the radio and it sounded like a scrappy game. Neither side playing mucg good football. However we defended superbly and got that chance and took it. I feel this is a game and situation we would have lost maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
First of all an absolutely fantastic three points which was the most important thing….…For the opening 20 minutes I thought we played well and were attacking with good tempo and purpose….. after that we started to make life difficult for ourselves with Collins and Rowe in particular giving the ball away far too much….defensively very sound again Dawson pulled off some terrific saves with Hartridge and Sparkes looking strong too, Collins did defend well with two or three very good tackles and blocks…..another disappointing showing from Zanzala but I’ll leave that as it is…..Tempted to make Dawson MoM for an impressive game.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Matt Taylor interview

Memphis09

Jay is still our top scorer, considering he had a pretty poor few months, that still says a lot about what an important player he is for us.
I think was
He has done a lot since November two goals I believe
Good sub but better ahead of him now

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
As pointed out by Red above we started the game with real purpose and Newport were miles off us. However, the home team came back into it and largely bossed the remainder of the half despite not really threatening. Callum was introduced to the physicality of league two and wasn't at his best in that first half. Second half we werent scintillating but we always looked in control of the opposition and again our game management was utterly sublime. For a home side starting in 5th Newport were totally nullified and I never felt we would lose or concede due to the dominance of Stubbs, Hartridge and Sweens. Sparks I feel had a far more defensively sound performance and both him and Josh were threatening in forward soirees. I enjoyed Archie's performance but our greatest threat always came though Jevani who was always the most likely to score in open play. Again I felt that whilst Oz didnt look like he would score he gave us a physical presence which against a team like Newport was essential. MOM for me was also Hartridge tidy on the ball, good in the air and positionally excellent. A really big win and a statement that we arent to be messed with

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Everytime I think we're about to slip up and drop points I'm wrong. It's clear this team is good enough. 7 to go and 5 points clear, it's actually happening.

Martin Weiler