• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Player Budget

robchave

If "our business" is currently so strapped for cash to be able to recruit as MT wanted to survive in L1 this season then what other options are open to us ?
Doing nothing risks us back in L2 with, probably, the best academy facilities in lower leagues - can we afford to do nothing ?
UTC
As I see it, we are not 'doing nothing'. We are implementing a plan to make us sustainable as a L1 club. We are trying to develop an income stream equivalent to an average 6,000 gate. So far, we are doing pretty well on that score.
Let's all remember that the alternative model - sell the club to someone with loads of wonga - didn't really work that well for the first 100 years of our existence. We nearly went bust on at least three occasions since I've be a supporter (late '60s) and we haven't exactly been beating off potential investors with a stick We are also, currently performing equal to our highest ever level and our highest ever finish was achieved under Trust ownership.
Yes, money will always be tight and that makes an ambition to move higher problematic. But ECFC is never going to be a Premiership Club and it would take absolutely massive investment to make us an 'established' Championship side.
If someone wants to invest without having control, then fine. But I really can't see that happening either.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I see it, we are not 'doing nothing'. We are implementing a plan to make us sustainable as a L1 club. We are trying to develop an income stream equivalent to an average 6,000 gate. So far, we are doing pretty well on that score.
Let's all remember that the alternative model - sell the club to someone with loads of wonga - didn't really work that well for the first 100 years of our existence. We nearly went bust on at least three occasions since I've be a supporter (late '60s) and we haven't exactly been beating off potential investors with a stick We are also, currently performing equal to our highest ever level and our highest ever finish was achieved under Trust ownership.
Yes, money will always be tight and that makes an ambition to move higher problematic. But ECFC is never going to be a Premiership Club and it would take absolutely massive investment to make us an 'established' Championship side.
If someone wants to invest without having control, then fine. But I really can't see that happening either.
I know the Project 6000 aim is sustainability in L1 but the 6k gate per game depends on how well we play at home which I admit is good so far.
My concern is that should we hit a dip in form (perhaps due to injuries) it is likely that the 6k gate will be affected and I guess that MT has an eye on this to generate revenue to cover our player overspend and hope to allow strengthening in Jan 23. Seems like MT's / the Board's hands are tied by needing to fund the more expensive than originally budgeted Cliff Hill (CH) development.

Obviously I'm unsighted of full budgetary information but, if gates do not provide enough to cover both the current overspend / projected player acquisition costs then I guess our only way of funding it (with Trust covering additional costs of CH) is to sell our assets just when we need to strengthen.

That's why selling a percentage stake may be the only way of generating income to strengthen rather than our heavy reliance on windfalls which, to quote Julian Tagg at an AGM, "will keep the juggernaut off our tail a while longer" ?

I'd love us Grecians to succeed with Project 6000 as we are but think we need to explore other avenues as well.

UTC

but we have rel

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
You may well be correct,but when Matt Taylor was talking about Jon hill,he mentioned the January window in a positive manner,yet here we are a day later and all of a sudden,we have no money left in the budget,it maybe that it was not overlooked,but I find it all a bit odd ! Just my view of which I am fully entitled to have
See my previous post, which explains why we may be able to spend in January. There are various factors that vould change the budget position.

dontpassback

See my previous post, which explains why we may be able to spend in January. There are various factors that vould change the budget position.
Let’s wait with interest until January then eh !

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let’s wait with interest until January then eh !
Indeed. But let's not forget that not signing players is not the same as not having money to sign players.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeter City has no money to sign new players. Hardly shock news is it. Its been this way for as long as I can remember!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I appreciate that many of our fans still feel the scars from the Russell & Lewis era but that shouldn't cloud the necessity for external investment/ownership in the future to allow the club to truly progress in the manner that most fans aspire to. We were well and truly done over by a previous regime but this attitude of never being privately owned again because of the fear that similar things could happen again is just a backward thought that means we'll generally standstill at best.

To say ECFC is never going to be Premier League simply isn't true. We are a million miles away from it currently but I grew up watching us play Fulham and Brighton in the league on a regular basis in the 4th tier.

If we could get over our old wounds and learn to love again then under a new club structure and model the Premier League may not just be a pipe dream.

Like the majority, I'm really proud of our fans owned model and what we've achieved under this structure, but it's limitations are becoming more obvious as we become more successful and we should never be scared of change if we want to move forward.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I appreciate that many of our fans still feel the scars from the Russell & Lewis era but that shouldn't cloud the necessity for external investment/ownership in the future to allow the club to truly progress in the manner that most fans aspire to. We were well and truly done over by a previous regime but this attitude of never being privately owned again because of the fear that similar things could happen again is just a backward thought that means we'll generally standstill at best.

To say ECFC is never going to be Premier League simply isn't true. We are a million miles away from it currently but I grew up watching us play Fulham and Brighton in the league on a regular basis in the 4th tier.

If we could get over our old wounds and learn to love again then under a new club structure and model the Premier League may not just be a pipe dream.

Like the majority, I'm really proud of our fans owned model and what we've achieved under this structure, but it's limitations are becoming more obvious as we become more successful and we should never be scared of change if we want to move forward.
This is true to an extent. Though I question whether there is a market for the kind of investment we would need to push to those lofty heights. There are other clubs who would be more attractive and probably cheaper to drive up the leagues than us.

Cowshed Grecian

This, “We haven’t got any money” doesn’t engross the fans at all. Seems like an excuse, and leaves the door open for people to criticise the ambition of the club. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me-Bigger Gates, transfer sales, smaller squad. I thought we were in a good financial place not so long back? I hope after the completion of the training ground it does improve the club and attracts better players. And we can move on and if we can sell further players down the line re-invest it in the squad and move forward. Otherwise there’s not a lot of point scraping by.

Agent Andy

At the end of the day , if we want to stay up then we need to invest , if we want to keep Taylor we need to back him , trust or no trust , give him the pond money and be done with it , we need to show some ambition because any more injuries and we won’t be competitive in this league and the fans will turn ,