• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Player Budget

lamrobhero

Football viewed as a soap opera about money. Boring.

tom_ecfc

We don’t have any money = We are open to investment?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
The funniest/most stupid thing on this thread is people moaning about investing in the infrastructure that has got a lot of the players that have either a, earnt us the money that keeps the club going or b, given us the players on the pitch that have helped get us as far as we have (did we not have SEVEN academy products in the squad earlier this season). The Cat and Fiddle was so archaic the last if the dinasours were seen roaming around when it was being constructed. The upgrade, for many reasons, had to be done.

robchave

At the end of the day , if we want to stay up then we need to invest , if we want to keep Taylor we need to back him , trust or no trust , give him the pond money and be done with it , we need to show some ambition because any more injuries and we won’t be competitive in this league and the fans will turn ,
Being ambitious does not have to equate to spending money we don't have. Given the past 100 years, trying to establish ourselves as a L1 club shows 'ambition'. And, yes, we will have to invest, and are investing, to achieve that end. 'Investment' implies spending to improve future revenue streams, or to reduce future costs. In football, that implies both spending on infrastructure AND on a team that can compete. It's a difficult balance if you haven't got financial backers with deep pockets. So far, we aren't doing too badly.

Agent Andy

I totally agree , so far we are doing a great balancing act but it would be great to really invest in the team now and push on . I really don’t understand this no money for the team shit , we’ve got to speculate to accumulate and it will all fall in place . Trust Matt Taylor and what he’s done and see how far he can take us . Our squad is too small for league one , that’s a fact 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I totally agree , so far we are doing a great balancing act but it would be great to really invest in the team now and push on . I really don’t understand this no money for the team shit , we’ve got to speculate to accumulate and it will all fall in place . Trust Matt Taylor and what he’s done and see how far he can take us . Our squad is too small for league one , that’s a fact 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
There's many a club who speculated but then things didn't fall into place though....

However I would like the club to back the manager more.

elginCity

With the club not owning the ground or C&F difficult to see where this external 'investment' is likely to come from, especially if the Trust wishes to retain control. It'd have to be a wealthy City fan prepared to invest with little prospect of a return, and they must be very few and far between.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
People underestimate the spiritual effect of not having an outside investor who basically holds all the power. It means there is a real community feeling to the club where everyone is pulling together. The investment made in the grass roots is all that matters, because that is what pays the bills at the club. At the moment we are a decent Lg 1 team in my opinion. If we made the kind of player investments that some people want we'd be in the running for promotion to the Championship, which I'm sorry but we're just not ready for in any way. We would come straight back down which might hurt the club long term. The step by step approach may be frustrating for some fans but I absolutely love it in this world of money-calls-the-shots football. Look at almost any club in Lg 2, we are the envy of all them and not just because we are in a higher division. They constantly live on their nerves in terms of a financial investor pulling the plug. Our club has been brave and in a sense revolutionary in its approach, and it makes me prouder every season, not just because of what we do on the pitch.

iscalad

At the end of the day , if we want to stay up then we need to invest , if we want to keep Taylor we need to back him , trust or no trust , give him the pond money and be done with it , we need to show some ambition because any more injuries and we won’t be competitive in this league and the fans will turn ,
Have we received any Pond money? Did Wolves turn up with a suitcase full of cash and say "let's have him".
Vast majority of transfer money is paid in installments.

Positive spin

An agents point of view ?