• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor Leaving? Has left!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rumoured to be departing with KMT
Not surprising if true. Wayno had already said a few weeks ago he wouldn't want the position permanently and if we recruit externally someone new will want to bring their own people.

I think we should put someone from within the club in temporary charge and then go through a thorough recruitment process to try and get the best man for the job.

There's no time to feel sorry for ourselves, we move on and look forward.

Red Monster

All the Rotherham backroom staff left with Warne to join
Derby .
So I would think that Matt would need someone with him Right
away.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
also Wayne is one of those people who looks like an excellent number 2, but probably not suited to the main job.

An example of this is Wayne's approach to post match interviews. He plainly doesn't like doing them - and its a big part of a manager's job.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was when Dan Green was still at the club....
Wayne Carlisle spoke like a manager when MT was on paternity leave. My money woul be on him.

Citygaff

Wayne Carlisle will be off, new manager will be Kevin Nicholson with Jon Hill as Assistant.

Cowshed Grecian

Losing MT is a difficult one to take. It can feel a bit disorientating when your leader leaves suddenly and a successor isn't in place.

For me what's most disheartening is I truly believe MT would have stayed if he thought he could take us further, but the reality is he knew, under the current model and after the painfully difficult transfer window, that just keeping ECFC in L1 was going to be a real challenge. He's clearly ambitious and has grown in to a tactically strong manager who appeared to have good man management skills. He leaves on a high and unlike Tisdale I think he will succeed.

We seriously need to review our options regarding the model and structure of the club if we want to progress to the next level but that's a story for another thread.
I Agree with everything you have said here, I used to love way MT used to paraphrase moving the club forward all the time. The crucial thing now is that we don’t start going backwards from where we are now.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, the position re the budget etc is pretty straightforward. MT agreed to and understood the budget he was given for the summer.

Sadly unexpectedly high inflation in wages for players at top end League Two/bottom of League One blew us out of the water (largely caused by increasing numbers of wealthy owners like at Wrexham throwing money at players at the level we were looking)

Nobody to blame, no rows. But - and its a massive but - MT got a taste of how his hands would always be tied. Built a successful team on limited money for League Two, but would always be facing a terrible struggle to put a strong enough team together in League One.
Do you reckon he’d get a good budget to play with at Rotherham?

Cowshed Grecian

Wayne Carlisle will be off, new manager will be Kevin Nicholson with Jon Hill as Assistant.
Hope not, he wasn’t exactly successful at Turkey.

dontpassback

Losing MT is a difficult one to take. It can feel a bit disorientating when your leader leaves suddenly and a successor isn't in place.

For me what's most disheartening is I truly believe MT would have stayed if he thought he could take us further, but the reality is he knew, under the current model and after the painfully difficult transfer window, that just keeping ECFC in L1 was going to be a real challenge. He's clearly ambitious and has grown in to a tactically strong manager who appeared to have good man management skills. He leaves on a high and unlike Tisdale I think he will succeed.

We seriously need to review our options regarding the model and structure of the club if we want to progress to the next level but that's a story for another thread.
I tend to agree,Matt Taylor is very ambitious and I think he will do well if he goes,but he has been manager for 4 Years,and coming through the coaching duties he would have realised the financial restrictions that we have,but nonetheless when a championship club come knocking,with bigger potential than city it’s understandable that he would be tempted,personally I will be gutted if he leaves because he has given us belief that we can progress,but I wish him well and I hope we get the replacement manager correct,I don’t think we will be short of potential candidates,but we do have to pick the right one,(easier said than done I know )

dontpassback

Shame,still remember his cut back and great cross for logie to score at plainmoor