• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's one of the funniest video clips I've ever seen, I can't stop watching it.

"I haven't even got an uncle" 🤣🤣🤣

DB9

Perhaps this shows that not everyone is on Ukraine and the West's side in this awful war?

A group of the world's top oil-producing countries have announced they will make deep cuts to the amount of barrels they export in a decision expected to raise oil prices around the world.

Members of Opec+ - a group of countries including Russia and the United Arab Emirates - will slash their production by two million barrels per day.

The demand on the limited oil supply will provide a welcome income boost for Russia, which is facing financial pressure due to the war and international economic sanctions.

It will also mean higher prices for consumers, with news of the planned production cut pushing prices up by 1 per cent to $92.74 (£82.74) a barrel today.

Defending the decision, United Arab Emirates Energy Minister Suhail al-Mazroui said "the decision is technical, not political".

Mr Jinx

Perhaps this shows that not everyone is on Ukraine and the West's side in this awful war?

A group of the world's top oil-producing countries have announced they will make deep cuts to the amount of barrels they export in a decision expected to raise oil prices around the world.

Members of Opec+ - a group of countries including Russia and the United Arab Emirates - will slash their production by two million barrels per day.

The demand on the limited oil supply will provide a welcome income boost for Russia, which is facing financial pressure due to the war and international economic sanctions.

It will also mean higher prices for consumers, with news of the planned production cut pushing prices up by 1 per cent to $92.74 (£82.74) a barrel today.

Defending the decision, United Arab Emirates Energy Minister Suhail al-Mazroui said "the decision is technical, not political".
I think we all knew that some time ago. However it's interesting that the Saudis and others seem to be taking Russia/Chinas side in this. This would never happen under a Republican President's watch.

New World Order mate.

DB9

I think we all knew that some time ago. However it's interesting that the Saudis and others seem to be taking Russia/Chinas side in this. This would never happen under a Republican President's watch.

New World Order mate.
Two things, China although you have a beef about them are not that alined to Russia in this, More like "West/US bashing" rather than being totally on side with Russia and as for the Saudi's, Trump moving their embassy in Israel to Jerusalem has really peeved off the Arab world big time, That makes a difference.

Mr Jinx

and as for the Saudi's, Trump moving their embassy in Israel to Jerusalem has really peeved off the Arab world big time, That makes a difference.
if that was such a bad move, it doesn't look Sleepy has done much to turn things around on that front and win them back. It's now on his watch, but nice try.

DB9

if that was such a bad move, it doesn't look Sleepy has done much to turn things around on that front and win them back. It's now on his watch, but nice try.
Of course he hasn't retreated on that, You do realise that like the Hispanic/Afro American vote etc the Jewish vote is huge in the US, That is the thing with the US Presidential race, They have to appeal to various groups and different core of voters, Its a strange race and much more complex when you look into it.

Mr Jinx

You do realise that like the Hispanic/Afro American vote etc the Jewish vote is huge in the US,
Really? I never did. Tell me more

Phil Sayers

On the one hand there is likely to be an element of truth to the UAE's energy minister saying it is for technical (economic) reasons rather than political because the Saudis in particular need to raise some revenue for domestic expenditure. Other OPEC members (including Russia themselves) will also see economic benefits to doing this. On the other hand this could really antagonise the relationship between Washington DC and Riyadh. The US, including Biden personally, have lobbied hard against this move and he will be more than a little angry they have done it as the midterms approach.

Interesting footage of an arranged defection / surrender whereby the Russians helpfully also brought their vehicle along. Ukraine has set up an encrypted telephone line that Russians can use to do this; will likely see a lot of use when the conscripts start arriving:

DB9

Really? I never did. Tell me more
Taken from the Jewish Virtual Library, Biden needs to keep the Jewish vote onside.

American Jews tend to favor Democratic candidates, with 71% of Jewish voters choosing Democratic candidates on average and 26% choosing Republicans since 1968.

Phil Sayers

Trump moving their embassy in Israel to Jerusalem has really peeved off the Arab world big time, That makes a difference.
Not sure I agree to be honest. It angers the Arab 'street' and so Arab rulers pretend to be outraged but really they are far, far more interested in what policy will be taken towards Iran than will be taken towards Israel / Palestine. The GCC are in de facto alliance with Israel - if ever Israel hits Iran's nuclear sites they will receive Saudi permission to use their airspace as the Saudis would also want the deed to be done. They liked Trump for his hard line approach and so may well want to interfere in US elections in a way that increases the chance of a Trump (or other Republican) return - that Trumps' hard line policy was a counter-productive road to nowhere does not seem to register on their radar at all. (Not that I have a problem with a hard line approach to Iran, I just require it to be thought through and with an achievable end goal in mind).