• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would like to deny Iran getting nuclear weapons

lamrobhero

Western policy in the Middle East has lost its moral compass (if it ever had it) and it's hypocracy has been demonstrated. Realpolitik on its own is not enough. A real mess.

lamrobhero

More great reporting from MSNBC:
NGO Raids Highlight Injustices Palestinians Face Under Occupation | Ayman - August 2022

lamrobhero

A key momemt for me was in the late 1990s I think. It was a Saturday morning. I was having a leisurely breakfast with Radio 4 Today in the background. When my attention was caught as a lady was introduced as a Holocost survivor who was going to give her opinion on actions of the Israeli State in Lebanon. I won't repeat what she said as it may fall within the definition of anti-semitism that is used by the main UK political parties.

I never did catch her name. Then last year I read an obiturary for Esther Béjarano, a member of the Auschwitz Girls’ Orchestra and I understood who it might have been. From the Economist obituary:
... "The war was over. Her own fight, though, was just beginning, against racism and anti-Semitism everywhere. The young Esther, singing and playing timorously in Auschwitz, might have been astonished to see herself seven decades later in a pixie haircut and long scarf, dancing on a stage with rappers." ... "Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians made her wild with anger. It struck her as racism pure and simple, a forced displacement and oppression of people as unjust as the persecution of Europe’s Jews. She attacked those policies all her life long, so furiously that she was later called an anti-Semite herself" ...

Esther Bejarano died on July 10th - The anti-racism campaigner, a member of the Auschwitz Girls’ Orchestra, was 96. The Economist 15th July 2021

Behind a pay wall but maybe there are are limited freebies.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Some Russian tourists have been playing with Coca-Cola and Mentos on the Kerch Bridge between RU and Crimea.

DB9

Some Russian tourists have been playing with Coca-Cola and Mentos on the Kerch Bridge between RU and Crimea.

No doubt it was an "Accident" and someone will fall out of a window with a serious illness soon. :rolleyes:

Phil Sayers

Lol - the road bridge has collapsed and the rail bridge is badly damaged. Aside from the vast propaganda victory (Ukrainian officials have said all along that the bridge is a target) this also seriously hamstrings Russian logistics. Gives them a major headache because previously they have been devoting their efforts to bringing supplies out of Crimea to their forces in the Kherson area and now they need to focus on keeping Crimea itself supplied with the essentials of life with support to their forces probably having to take a back seat for the time being.

I would not be surprised if Ukraine conducts another offensive southwards in the direction of Mariupol with the aim of ideally severing the land bridge but if that is not possible at this stage bringing the whole of the land bridge within artillery range.

Phil Sayers

Phil Sayers

Deleted post.

DB9

When a Government tell you not to "Panic about Petrol supplies" you know exactly what will happen.