• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure I agree to be honest. It angers the Arab 'street' and so Arab rulers pretend to be outraged but really they are far, far more interested in what policy will be taken towards Iran than will be taken towards Israel / Palestine. The GCC are in de facto alliance with Israel - if ever Israel hits Iran's nuclear sites they will receive Saudi permission to use their airspace as the Saudis would also want the deed to be done. They liked Trump for his hard line approach and so may well want to interfere in US elections in a way that increases the chance of a Trump (or other Republican) return - that Trumps' hard line policy was a counter-productive road to nowhere does not seem to register on their radar at all. (Not that I have a problem with a hard line approach to Iran, I just require it to be thought through and with an achievable end goal in mind).
This one of the reports i read when it happened, That is why i think they weren't happy Bunnies when Trump did that.

Alistair20000

Not sure I agree to be honest. It angers the Arab 'street' and so Arab rulers pretend to be outraged but really they are far, far more interested in what policy will be taken towards Iran than will be taken towards Israel / Palestine. The GCC are in de facto alliance with Israel - if ever Israel hits Iran's nuclear sites they will receive Saudi permission to use their airspace as the Saudis would also want the deed to be done. They liked Trump for his hard line approach and so may well want to interfere in US elections in a way that increases the chance of a Trump (or other Republican) return - that Trumps' hard line policy was a counter-productive road to nowhere does not seem to register on their radar at all. (Not that I have a problem with a hard line approach to Iran, I just require it to be thought through and with an achievable end goal in mind).
Any ideas on that ?

Phil Sayers

Sadly not - although it shows the occasional tiny flicker of life the JCPOA is most likely dead in the water. As massive a problem as Iran's nuclear programme is (a showdown cannot be far away if Obama's deal is killed off and Iran continues enrichment etc at pace) it is far from the only problem that could cause a showdown given Iran is trying (and in many places has succeeded) to spread its regional tentacles in ways that cause flashpoint after flashpoint.

Very detailed article on Ukraine's use of UK supplied M270 MLRS:

Mr Jinx

Sadly not - although it shows the occasional tiny flicker of life the JCPOA is most likely dead in the water. As massive a problem as Iran's nuclear programme is (a showdown cannot be far away if Obama's deal is killed off and Iran continues enrichment etc at pace) it is far from the only problem that could cause a showdown given Iran is trying (and in many places has succeeded) to spread its regional tentacles in ways that cause flashpoint after flashpoint.
There won't be a showdown whilst Sleepy's at the wheel. Some empty words maybe.

DB9

There won't be a showdown whilst Sleepy's at the wheel. Some empty words maybe.
Israel will do the US's bidding in the Middle East with regards to Iran, Whether it will be covertly or overtly, They've done it before and have said they won't stand by if Iran develop the bomb.

Alistair20000

Israel will do the US's bidding in the Middle East with regards to Iran, Whether it will be covertly or overtly, They've done it before and have said they won't stand by if Iran develop the bomb.
What if the US try to stop Israel acting ?

DB9

What if the US try to stop Israel acting ?
Won't happen, Neither the US or Israel what a nuke capable Iran threatening the region, Israel over the years have dealt things out to various M East countries, Mostly on the QT and always deny knowledge of doing it and with the "Quiet Approval" of the US.

lamrobhero

Palestinian deaths toll in West Bank hits 100 this year BBC 01/10/22

Palestinian report says Israel deliberately killed Al Jazeera's Shireen Abu Aqla BBC 27/05/22

Realpolitik is OK but has its limitations in the long term. Bombing an independent country like Iran would be fundamentally wrong and indicative of a deeply flawed Western policy in the Middle East.

Using the widely used definition of anti-semitism:
  • "Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination" [so denying Palestinian people their right to self-determination is equally reprehensible]
  • "Applying double standards by requiring of the State of Israel a behaviour not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation." [so not one demanded of non-democratic nations, presumably most other Middle Eastern nations]

Phil Sayers

Is Iran bombarding Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Israel (directly themselves from their own soil in the first two instances as well as by proxy and in Israel's instance by proxy from both Syria and Lebanon) as fundamentally wrong, more fundamentally wrong because it targets more complete innocents than attacking a covert nuclear facility or less fundamentally wrong?

lamrobhero

I am not from Iran and I know very little about Iran apart from what I get from the media. However I do know of the operations of GB and the USA in the 1950s to intervene in Iranian internal affairs. I do know of the Iraq invasion of Iran in the 1980s. If I was Iranian I imagine maintaining my country's independence and territorial integrity would loom large on my list of priorities. Sounds like you want to deny Iran its right to independence and territorial integrity?