• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Assistant Manager appointment

Boyo

Hope it doesn’t take too long to bring in new goalkeeping coach, hated it when MT decided we didn’t need one for a year. It’s been obvious Brown was off to Rotherham for a while, why weren’t we advertising earlier is my only quibble?
Ideally, I guess, we would want another GK player/coach. Harry Lee is a decent #2 GK, but to develop further he needs to be playing regularly. However, I cannot imagine there are many GK player/coaches around, let alone many who are out of a job waiting for a call. So we may need to seek a suitable back up AND a coach. Whichever way, it's likely we'll wait until January, where players from elsewhere can be released from contracts.

craigbratt

I am always impressed by Craig’s youthful energy; if I travelled as much for work as Craig does I’d be doing as little as possible on my days off.
The San Siro was on Metro line M5 - I can never escape!

craigbratt

Craig seems to have been on an early Jan transfer window scout out in Milan…

Mkhitaryan did say he was keen to try a pint of Sandford Orchards...

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mkhitaryan did say he was keen to try a pint of Sandford Orchards...
Hope you told him other ciders are available in Debon (& hope you had a great trip too) !

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hope you told him other ciders are available in Debon (& hope you had a great trip too) !
No need. Sandford Orchard ciders are top notch.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
No need. Sandford Orchard ciders are top notch.
But are they top natch?

andrew p long

Ideally, I guess, we would want another GK player/coach. Harry Lee is a decent #2 GK, but to develop further he needs to be playing regularly. However, I cannot imagine there are many GK player/coaches around, let alone many who are out of a job waiting for a call. So we may need to seek a suitable back up AND a coach. Whichever way, it's likely we'll wait until January, where players from elsewhere can be released from contracts.
Yep. I live in hope that there are some keepers who are under employed, not far from being retired, starting to coach , looking for the next stage of their career. Who can be recruited so as to start in January. (much like Scott Brown was in summer 2021). In the modern game, loads of ageing keepers take jobs as bench warmers in the last years of their playing career.
Apparently Ben Foster has 'retired' and is kicking his heels. And Villa's goalkeeping coach Neil Cutler recently got the boot. More likely to be someone we've never heard of though!

Bridgy 81

Yep. I live in hope that there are some keepers who are under employed, not far from being retired, starting to coach , looking for the next stage of their career. Who can be recruited so as to start in January. (much like Scott Brown was in summer 2021). In the modern game, loads of ageing keepers take jobs as bench warmers in the last years of their playing career.
Apparently Ben Foster has 'retired' and is kicking his heels. And Villa's goalkeeping coach Neil Cutler recently got the boot. More likely to be someone we've never heard of though!
I‘ve had a quick look for experienced keepers currently without clubs who maybe prepared to be a League One back up if they’re interested in developing a coaching career and have come up with Stephen Henderson and Kieren Westwood.
They were released in the summer by Charlton and QPR respectively, so as free agents presumably available now.
Henderson is only 34 and would perhaps have a bit left in him as he’s played just 200 odd games (mostly at Championship level). He’s previously been at Bristol City and Yeovil so not a stranger to the West Country.
He’s a former RoI U21 international.
Maybe consider giving him an 18 month playing/coaching contract so he can battle it out with Harry next season.
Or Kieren Westwood. He’s older (38) and a lot more experienced (over 500 games) almost exclusively at Championship level and is a full RoI international (21 caps).
He was at Sheffield Wednesday between 2014-21 so was largely responsible for keeping Cameron Dawson out of their side.
I’ve no idea if either are available/suitable and/or interested in us but Marcus is welcome to follow up on my research if he reads this.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ben Foster spent a season on loan at Tivvy so he knows the patch!

STURTZ

Mel Gwynet's available. 😩