• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Morecambe v Exeter City Matchday Thread.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
(I'm joking, by the way... :) )

grecianstew

And he saw the run of fixtures coming up and figured he would like to leave before we started losing more games...
Yep, he probably hoped for something more glamorous than Rotherham but an opportunity arose when we were overachieving. He knew his stock was probably at its peak and if he hung around it was likely to plummet. Probably learned from his predecessor’s mistake.

geoffwp

(I'm joking, by the way... :) )
Good job I noticed this Denzel as I was just about to go into volcanic mode!!:ROFLMAO:

C j phill

This culture of switching off needs addressing immediately, it has cost us far too many points.
I've been posting about this for quite some time and it's been an issue for a couple of seasons, not just a couple of weeks.

I'm convinced that we'd have a fair number of extra points this season, if all of our players were switched on for the whole game, but that appears to be unachievable.

I think it's one of the factors which distinguishes between higher league players and those of league 1/2. If the academy players want to progress, because it's probably too late for the established players to change, they need to start the process of concentrating for 90+ minutes sooner rather than later.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been posting about this for quite some time and it's been an issue for a couple of seasons, not just a couple of weeks.

I'm convinced that we'd have a fair number of extra points this season, if all of our players were switched on for the whole game, but that appears to be unachievable.

I think it's one of the factors which distinguishes between higher league players and those of league 1/2. If the academy players want to progress, because it's probably too late for the established players to change, they need to start the process of concentrating for 90+ minutes sooner rather than later.
Possibly the change of keeper from last season has had an adverse effect. If Jamal is less vocal with his defence then he's not keeping them on their toes, pretty sure Dawson wouldn't have let them switch off.

C j phill

Possibly the change of keeper from last season has had an adverse effect. If Jamal is less vocal with his defence then he's not keeping them on their toes, pretty sure Dawson wouldn't have let them switch off.
The issue is that this has been a problem for a few seasons and isnt a new incarnation. Concentration lapses was an issue often alluded to by Matt Taylor in his post match Iinterviews when we conceded soft goals and it wasnt just the defenders who were at fault.

denzel

It will be strange to see Cam warming the bench on Saturday. Seems a waste!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
It will be strange to see Cam warming the bench on Saturday. Seems a waste!
The way Stockdale played yesterday Cam could be starting !
UTC

Grecianpasty

With the intensive training thing, it will be something the players get used to and will be better for it. Caldwell has played at a high level through his career and has been working for some big clubs recently so will be up on the training regimes at that level. It won't happen overnight and might see a dip before improvement.

As has been mentioned before on here, there have been interviews with Matt Grimes and MJ where they say the difference in fitness between the lower leagues and PL/Championship is noticeable. If Caldwell wants to introduce those levels to our players, that can only be a long term improvement both for the team and the players themselves that might be looking to step up levels.
High intensity training should be a standard for any professional football team. Any footballer complaining defeats the object of obtaining your full potential.

Mark Kennedy at Lincoln is a massive advocat for this.

Red Bill

From the two interviews it seems that Gary is going to continue changing the team and formation. Josh seems to enjoy the freedom of playing further forward and Gary clearly sees him as a very talented player. Gary's repeated spin on leaving players on the bench "because the finishers are vital for us" is a good way of putting it. Let's hope that particularly Jevani buys into that and doesn't look to leave in January. Also, people who have been saying that the intensive training is leaving the players drained are also going to be disappointed. He says it's going to be ramped up even more. Goodness knows what stick he will get on here if we hit a really poor run!
It's often mentioned that Premier League players are much fitter, when I hear this I want to know why? In the lower leagues we have to accept players have their limitations, whether that be skill, consistency or pace, we just have to accept that that's who they are, trying can improve this things to a limited degree but essentially they will always have those limitations. But fitness is just about working harder, there's no reason I can think of to accept lower fitness levels in the lower leagues, so I don't have much truck with the idea that the team are struggling because GC is working them too hard.