• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bolton Wanderers - Matchday Thread

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the way home from a miserable experience. Starting Grounds made a bad situation worse. As others have said Chieck looks so poor on the right and unless Stubbs makes a miraculous recovery two centre backs must be in the Jan window. Whilst it appeared the second half was an improvement it should be remembered that Bolton decided they were happy with 2-0 and barely got out of 2nd gear in that half. We improved with Dieng and Nombe on the pitch and for me both have to start. Oh and those calling for the manager to go have a word with yourself he hasnt even had a window yet to change anything!
I'm not calling for the manager to go. However, given his inclination to tinker, I do worry the forthcoming transfer window could create as many issues as it solves.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair, previously Brown has sat out whilst Nombe started. I don't think we can afford the luxury of playing all three every game...and he'd get pelters if Stanno was the one left out.

However, for an away game such as today Nombe should definitely start IMO.
FWIW, thought Stano was bang average today. And the manager is paid to make difficult decisions.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not calling for the manager to go. However, given his inclination to tinker, I do worry the forthcoming transfer window could create as many issues as it solves.
Maybe but before we get to that point isnt the time for others to throw toys out of the pram. I am in agreement that constant tinkering doesnt help although when you are winning it gets called squad rotation :) I want Nombe to start however him on that pitch today wouldnt have changed how bad our 3 centre halfs played. That is the root cause of our current situation and as far as I can see until the transfer window I see few solutions. That is the same for Caldwell who has a bad hand to play until it can be sorted

i8cornwall

no what I’m saying is your being a impatient twot if you want the manager gone already.
I didn't want him in the first place!!!

Reactions: Ash

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sweeney out for at least a month from what Caldwell says.Its been a bad day.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I want Nombe to start however him on that pitch today wouldnt have changed how bad our 3 centre halfs played. That is the root cause of our current situation and as far as I can see until the transfer window I see few solutions. That is the same for Caldwell who has a bad hand to play until it can be sorted
This.

Our defence isn't good enough. Diabate is very much a work in progress, Sweeney is a RCB only, Grounds is a useful squad player and only Hartridge is good enough for the position he plays in.

We are missing Sam Stubbs and need a replacement as good as him asap. And a left back so we have the option of playing 4 3 3

supernova

Sweeney out for at least a month from what Caldwell says.Its been a bad day.
this shouldn’t be as bad news as it is. Sums up a bad recruitment operation by Taylor over the summer in the defensive areas. This defence is bottom half L1 tops

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Bat Fastard

This.

Our defence isn't good enough. Diabate is very much a work in progress, Sweeney is a RCB only, Grounds is a useful squad player and only Hartridge is good enough for the position he plays in.

We are missing Sam Stubbs and need a replacement as good as him asap. And a left back so we have the option of playing 4 3 3
I agree to a certain extent however Taylor had pretty much the same and we looked far more comfortable at the back. it's also about organisation and consistency of selection in defence, both of which are plainly lacking under caldwell. If we get nothing out of rovers and Portsmouth i'm afraid a caldwell out thread needs to be started