• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bolton Wanderers - Matchday Thread

AndyR

A lot of anti Caldwell sentiment from people obviously forgetting the run of games we have had since he took up post. Some people need to manage their expectations we are never in a million years good enough to get in the play offs
Agree with this. Matt Taylor said after one of our early wins that he was fully expecting us to be involved in a relegation battle and that is looking increasingly likely. The defence is clearly suspect and I'm sure the Club will be looking to bring in reinforcements in January but as MT himself found in the Summer, that isn't easy. I think we need to get real.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Diabate is lost playing on the right of a three. He needs to be central but we havent got anyone else with a right foot. He is getting murdered out there
As the last 20 minutes proved, Dieng can play there. The would have been a much better call than switching the defence around by putting Grounds in the middle and Diabate at RCB. They are really uncertain about who is going for what.

red1

Probably the worst, most embarrassing 1st half I can remember, extremely lucky that we weren't 6-0 down. Second half, a slight improvement but still looked shaky with Diabate moved into the middle. Up front didnt look like troubling their keeper. Midfield outmuscled and outplayed. That was a relegation performance.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought Dieng looked very confident at right centre back ,possibly helped by Bolton deciding it was job done going forward .One positive, but we missed his tough tackling in the middle today.

robchave

OK, I didn't get to watch the game due to my pretty useless Internet connection. However, before we write GC of completely we should remember three things:
1. Our defence is grossly under strength. No way would we be playing an aging left-back out of position at CB, alongside a novice CB with less than a season's league experience, if we had any other choice.
2. The run of games we've played since GC was appointed hardly represents a balanced cross-section of L1.
3. At the start of the season, most of us just had ambitions to stay-up; the nearer to the top the better.

supernova

He's been sacked from his last 3 jobs.

As a fan base we can't be telling others tisdale isn't great based on his record then ignore Caldwell's.

Assume you will tho.
we gave Tisdale nearly 5 years after his sell by date to improve

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
A lot of anti Caldwell sentiment from people obviously forgetting the run of games we have had since he took up post. Some people need to manage their expectations we are never in a million years good enough to get in the play offs
Agreed in so far as a run of poor results was expected.

But that first half performance was simply appalling

( I thank heaven I didn't see the Oxford game, which FBH says was worse than today's first half!)

dontpassback

Agree with this. Matt Taylor said after one of our early wins that he was fully expecting us to be involved in a relegation battle and that is looking increasingly likely. The defence is clearly suspect and I'm sure the Club will be looking to bring in reinforcements in January but as MT himself found in the Summer, that isn't easy. I think we need to get real.
Well the way Rotherham are going he will probably be Correct !

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK, I didn't get to watch the game due to my pretty useless Internet connection. However, before we write GC of completely we should remember three things:
1. Our defence is grossly under strength. No way would we be playing an aging left-back out of position at CB, alongside a novice CB with less than a season's league experience, if we had any other choice.
2. The run of games we've played since GC was appointed hardly represents a balanced cross-section of L1.
3. At the start of the season, most of us just had ambitions to stay-up; the nearer to the top the better.
I think the overwhelming majority of people readily accept all of the above. It's the inexplicable decisions, such as continually leaving our top scorer on the bench until the game is all but over, we're struggling with.

C j phill

The only way I can make any sense of it is if we made some kind of agreement with Fulham that Stansfield must start if fit.

Nothing against Jay, but if it's a toss up between him and Nombe then I'd have thought it would make much more sense to start with Sam and use Jay off the bench.
Damien,

The way results have been going, if we have such an agreement with Fulham, we need to break it, start playing Sam and suffer the consequences. Af this point in time, results take priority over the requirement to develop a player for a Premier league club.