• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm really not sure many people give a monkey's chuff about your crusade to be proved right or wrong
That's nice.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
We haven't sacked a manager since the 02/03 season.

Under trust ownership we've never sacked a manager.

I don't want any failure at all, but thus far hugely uninspired by Caldwell and to me he has to prove his ability to be successful with us. Based on the evidence of here and now I am not convinced he is the man to bring this to our club.

Obviously success is relative and let's be honest the club ain't removing him anytime soon, so can only really be hopeful I'm wrong
All managers (and players) have to prove themselves at new clubs. It is what they do at that club that matters, not what they have done elsewhere. We have seen many a player do well here after apparently stinking the place out elsewhere to know that an open mind in the first few weeks doesn't do any harm. GC seems to have been starting with a negative stack loaded against him as far as yourself goes though.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's nice.
Only telling it as it is. You havent gained many converts judging by just how many posters have challenged you but you dig yourself deeper into your bunker

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only telling it as it is. You havent gained many converts judging by just how many posters have challenged you but you dig yourself deeper into your bunker
It's a forum based on opinions essentially.

Very few have argued the reasoning behind my opinion on Caldwell and his start with us. I'm happy to accept my conclusion is harsh, but like you feel right in your opinion, I ATM just can't see how he will progress us and this far feel he's not added anything but rather taken away based on his first two months. It is ok to be conflicted as I am. I hate feeling the way I do about this as it's not my base standpoint on managers. I am happy to accept my opinion is harsh, but just first two months haven't been great, irrespective of opposition.

We have one of the best strikeforces in the league and we've all but made them redundant for almost all of Caldwell's reign. You can't tell me you expected from Caldwell starting Brown 2, Nombe 3 and Stansfield 0.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm really not sure many people give a monkey's chuff about your crusade to be proved right or wrong
I don't. A lot of our fans for some strange reason have taken an instant dislike to GC including MJF (Or whatever his name is) and will take great delight in being proved right if it all goes wrong. Personally it's far too early to make a judgement on him either way.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't. A lot of our fans for some strange reason have taken an instant dislike to GC including MJF (Or whatever his name is) and will take great delight in being proved right if it all goes wrong. Personally it's far too early to make a judgement on him either way.
If Caldwell ends up being terrible for us, what delight is there to take?

Look, This time, i promise to not discuss it anymore, to judge each game as constructively as possible. Everyone knows my opinion. I just want what is best for ECFC and its future.

Exeweb mods, if i break this promise please delete my account. It is not worth the time of those whom disagree with me and my time in making the same arguments.

UTC!!!

Grecian Max

]
It will go south at some point, managers are 99 percent of the time relieved of their duties when managing a football club. It feels weirdly like many want GC to fail and soon!?

This isn’t an amazing look in to the future you’re giving by saying “if Caldwell goes the way I think” - yes he will be sacked one day that’s football

I don't want any failure at all, but thus far hugely uninspired by Caldwell and to me he has to prove his ability to be successful with us. Based on the evidence of here and now I am not convinced he is the man to bring this to our club.

Obviously success is relative and let's be honest the club ain't removing him anytime soon, so can only really be hopeful I'm wrong
[/QUOTE]

Largely because we painted ourselves into a corner with a ridiculous contract for Tisdale. He should have walked in the year when we won 3 home games in 12 months.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

Largely because we painted ourselves into a corner with a ridiculous contract for Tisdale. He should have walked in the year when we won 3 home games in 12 months.
[/QUOTE]
In fairness, whatever your opinion for or against, there was never a will from within the club to sack Tisdale irrespetive of contract arrangements. Whether the two playoff finals where enough to prove a turnaround was a matter for personal opinion. Remember the trust members called contract to time, not Tagg or the club. In hindsight it was a good call of those whom actively pursued it.

Grecian Max

In fairness, whatever your opinion for or against, there was never a will from within the club to sack Tisdale irrespetive of contract arrangements. Whether the two playoff finals where enough to prove a turnaround was a matter for personal opinion. Remember the trust members called contract to time, not Tagg or the club. In hindsight it was a good call of those whom actively pursued it.
[/QUOTE]

They couldn’t even if they’d wanted to

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
In fairness, whatever your opinion for or against, there was never a will from within the club to sack Tisdale irrespective of contract arrangements. Whether the two playoff finals where enough to prove a turnaround was a matter for personal opinion. Remember the trust members called contract to time, not Tagg or the club. In hindsight it was a good call of those whom actively pursued it.
They couldn’t even if they’d wanted to
[/QUOTE]
I agree, but they didn't want too. Rightly or wrongly. Trust members and a resolution via the trust called for notice on his contract. Tagg and club could have done this if they had wanted too, if nothing else to slam the ball in to Tisdale's court.