• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth vs Exeter Match Day - 21 Jan 2023 - Thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Come on city, two late goals…..

supernova

Just left the ground, absolute shit show that was
the first half we looked decent how did it fall apart like that?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
To fair he has improved considerably in recent weeks.

Coppers

I had a feeling this would happen, I looked at the stats on the sky app half time it was all in our favour and thought won't be same 2nd half. 9 corners to 1, 7 shots 2 on target to their nil. We only ever seem to perform for 1 half of football. So frustrating!

TotnesGrecian

the first half we looked decent how did it fall apart like that?
I mean we looked decent, with absolutely 0 end product in the final 3rd at all

iscalad

Seems we have forgotten how to score.

supernova

I mean we looked decent, with absolutely 0 end product in the final 3rd at all
Caldwell has got to be fuming with his side that we made nothing of all those corners

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Judging from the commentary it has not been a bad performance.

Turning points a good goal for Pompey and minutes later a penalty not given followed a few minutes later a howler by Jamal to put Pompey 2 nil up.

My concern though we appear to have some decent players and play some decent football White brings creativity to the midfield and we are now starting with Jev and Sam but at present are not creating that many clear cut chances.

My other concern is that Stanno whether starting or coming on off the bench is not having the same impact on the game as he was earlier in the season.

Last edited:

DB9

Disappointing, My 1st game this season and tbh after shading it just in the 1st half, 2nd half we were not at the races, The penalty shout in not to sure about and there was no great players looking to the ref,

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at the scoreline you would think that was a comfortable win,but we didn't deserve to lose that match.At 0-0 we were challenging for the ball better than we have at any time in the season.I like a couple of features that Caldwell introduced to our play.When we got to the byline and not enough was on,we straight away played it off their player for a corner. There was less fannying around at the back.Blackman clearly had orders to get it upfield at every opportunity. Disappointing that we didn't do enough in training with booting it up field.

Caldwell needs to stop with playing Key kn the left.Hartridge didn't look comfortable alongside him.It's got to be Hartridge/Sparkes and Sweeney/Key.Caprice had an absolute stinker.Didnt do anything in the first half and went missing during the second goal and the chance before.Going forward kept losing the ball.

Can't fault Caldwell with his substitutions ,but should have changed Caprice for Sparkes when Stansfield came on.Chaulke was in the wrong role,couldn't get into the game where he was.Kite looked nervous without Collins or Dieng.White was class.Felt the game was a tale of two goalkeepers.