• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could be wrong but sn't it an undersea mine Olds?

Regarding nuclear, very interesting "long read" in yesterday's Guardian (yes, I know) about the difficulties of decommissioning of Sellafield/Windscale.

One thing does puzzle me thought if if that nuclear "waste" is still pumping out all of that dangerous energy for millions of years why can't some of it still be harvested for today's needs?
Pretty sure it was open cast in the planning process.

Off track slightly, I’ve visited Whitehaven a few times, the coal seam from the Wellington Pit went out a couple of miles under the Irish Sea.
The local land mark is Candlestick Chimney near to the coast line which was used for the underground boilers at the pit.

187D80C7-E1A6-49DA-9B70-D06768698172.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

I’m starting to enjoy our electric blanket we wrap round our legs. Very cushti as Del Boy would have said.
My good lady & I have invested in a couple of electric blankets, very cosy whilst sat watching TV
They were hard to get, pretty much sold out everywhere.

Mr Jinx

And so the latest monthly bill just landed which kind of had me laughing, because I didn't feel like crying. It went over £500!!

And for those of you that have visions of me lording it in some kind of manor house...I live in a fairly standard 3 bed semi.

iscalad

And so the latest monthly bill just landed which kind of had me laughing, because I didn't feel like crying. It went over £500!!

And for those of you that have visions of me lording it in some kind of manor house...I live in a fairly standard 3 bed semi.
I feel your pain. Mine was over £400.

manc grecian

Thought mine was bad at £320. God knows what you two have been doing.

iscalad

Thought mine was bad at £320. God knows what you two have been doing.
My wife has been poorly. Heating on more than usual.

tavyred

Looks like we could be through the worst of it, with bills predicted to dip below £2K next winter and the Government saving £15BN in public subsidies as a result.

andrew p long

Looks like we could be through the worst of it, with bills predicted to dip below £2K next winter and the Government saving £15BN in public subsidies as a result.

Yes, though this 'optimistic' prediction still has energy bills at double their 2019 levels.

Grecian2K

Reading an another article today about those scandalous, "rubber stamped" imposition of pre-payment meters (much to the obvious joy of that ex-cop enforcer) there was one thing I never realised before.

Not only are those poor souls not only inflicted by well-over the odds prices but, even after they are cut off, those INIQUITOUS standing charges continue to be added so even while they are sitting in the cold and dark the daily kerchings are still clocking up for the energy moguls. A mounting debt likely never to be repayable and, even if it eventually is, will probably preclude the victims ever getting back on the slightly less gouged DD tariffs.

And how does Mr Brearley, the head honcho of Ofgem respond. The supine toadie merely asks them, in true Sergeant Wilson style, "Who you mind awfully not being so horrid, chaps".

In an already rigged and borderline corrupt industry this is yet another attempt to crash the jackboot on the head (or wallet) of the least fortunate.

To my eyes it's almost the equivalent of, having got rid of your car because you can no longer afford it, the oiligarchs still rack up a daily debt against your name for the fuel you might have used.

Surely even the most right-leaning free-marketeers on here can at least slightly perceive the injustice here?

(And don't even get going on the latest "cartel exposed" - the CPI (or even RPI!!!) hikes hidden in the tiny print of most comms contracts. Given that on-line access is now just about essential to access ANY of the government services is this just the next, sly move to get the poorest off their backs?)

Oldsmobile-88

Reading an another article today about those scandalous, "rubber stamped" imposition of pre-payment meters (much to the obvious joy of that ex-cop enforcer) there was one thing I never realised before.

Not only are those poor souls not only inflicted by well-over the odds prices but, even after they are cut off, those INIQUITOUS standing charges continue to be added so even while they are sitting in the cold and dark the daily kerchings are still clocking up for the energy moguls. A mounting debt likely never to be repayable and, even if it eventually is, will probably preclude the victims ever getting back on the slightly less gouged DD tariffs.

And how does Mr Brearley, the head honcho of Ofgem respond. The supine toadie merely asks them, in true Sergeant Wilson style, "Who you mind awfully not being so horrid, chaps".

In an already rigged and borderline corrupt industry this is yet another attempt to crash the jackboot on the head (or wallet) of the least fortunate.

To my eyes it's almost the equivalent of, having got rid of your car because you can no longer afford it, the oiligarchs still rack up a daily debt against your name for the fuel you might have used.

Surely even the most right-leaning free-marketeers on here can at least slightly perceive the injustice here?

(And don't even get going on the latest "cartel exposed" - the CPI (or even RPI!!!) hikes hidden in the tiny print of most comms contracts. Given that on-line access is now just about essential to access ANY of the government services is this just the next, sly move to get the poorest off their backs?)
Ofgem has not been fit for purpose for many years G2K.
I’ve said it on this thread before, They have overseen many suppliers in the market being given licences without proper due diligence, who have now failed. Individual consumers are now paying for that failure though crazy standing charges on Gas & Electricity.

The practice of entry by a warrant to install a PP Meter to recover debt has been going on for at least 20 years. It is usually a last resort.