• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, I pay taxes. Have done since 1968.
You win.

I can only go back to 1973 to claim that dubious pleasure :(

Oldsmobile-88

Maybe all our middle class climate change eco warriors should fook off to Germany or China and see how far they get.
I was intrigued as to why the white middle class JSO group were trying to stop a coach taking asylum seekers to the Bibby Stockholm boat at Portland Harbour along Chesil Beach Rd last week ?
The coach driver was not going to stop & nudged through. The group wisely got off the road.

iscalad

You win.

I can only go back to 1973 to claim that dubious pleasure :(
Wish I'd had a bet now 😕

Oldsmobile-88

A unfortunate house holder was hit by a £11k gas bill for consumption in the past 15 years. They had tried to find out who the supplier was after moving & in the years afterwards The amount was billed to them eventually by Cadent (National Grid) who I assume checked the status of the gas service on a random visit. Cadent, is a gas transporter, not a supplier but are obligated to recover the cost of the gas if they discover a meter that is not assigned to a supplier.

I can well imagine the scenario after I was asked by someone I knew in 1999 to try to get to the bottom of why she had not been billed for a year. Phoned the relevant number(as she had) to be told there was no gas meter at the property. I said there was, I’d fitted it ! The operator was having none of it(The computer says, no 😁) I took their name, extension number & the time phoned & gave that to the householder as proof of the conversation( all phone conversations are recorded & kept for a period of time) She moved a couple of years later & still not had a bill, subsequently never heard anything about it.
It’s not a unusual scenario.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A unfortunate house holder was hit by a £11k gas bill for consumption in the past 15 years. They had tried to find out who the supplier was after moving & in the years afterwards The amount was billed to them eventually by Cadent (National Grid) who I assume checked the status of the gas service on a random visit. Cadent, is a gas transporter, not a supplier but are obligated to recover the cost of the gas if they discover a meter that is not assigned to a supplier.

I can well imagine the scenario after I was asked by someone I knew in 1999 to try to get to the bottom of why she had not been billed for a year. Phoned the relevant number(as she had) to be told there was no gas meter at the property. I said there was, I’d fitted it ! The operator was having none of it(The computer says, no 😁) I took their name, extension number & the time phoned & gave that to the householder as proof of the conversation( all phone conversations are recorded & kept for a period of time) She moved a couple of years later & still not had a bill, subsequently never heard anything about it.
It’s not a unusual scenario.
There's something odd about the story

Oldsmobile-88

Looks like Liam Gallagher & Patsy Kensit tribute act 😁😎

angelic upstart

Looks like Liam Gallagher & Patsy Kensit tribute act 😁😎
One thing is for sure. The fella in those twitter photos has a woeful barnet. So much so, I'm slightly happier I have lost my hair.

Grecian2K

And so we move on to the latest quarterly episode of that endless con trick, the "Energy Price Cap".
Sure the energy companies have grudgingly complied with those much trumpeted (slightly) lower unit rates dictated by that tame joke that is Ofgem but have more than compensated by hiking up those iniquitous (unregulated!) Standing Charges. Quite fitting it's on April Fools Day (with the captive public as the fools)

I (and Olds) have long ranted against that little cash-machine for the energy companies but, despite being oft-promised by the "regulator" no real effort has been made to rein in those totally regressive charges which penalise the poorest and/or most thrifty in society. 🤬

So don't believe the "hype" about how those energy prices are "falling" from today. As an example although the unit rates our current fixed (but cancellable) deal taken out in February would both drop slightly to just fit inside the new cap this is more than outweighed by the massive hike (around 15%) in the Standing Charges were we to go to their latest variable tariff.