• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United Home - Discussion Thread

Boyo

I get the frustrations but a few points:

• The EFL have obviously suggested early pitch inspections.
  • There's nothing to suggest that the referee won't both inspect the pitch and take soundings from Chaz and the weather forecast.
  • If we don't do the inspection today as advised we'll still have Cambridge fans phoning or emailing in today 'Is the match on?' Our response would then have to be that we don't know.
  • Last season I personally fielded about 50(of over 100) enquiries from Barnsley fans and couldn't give a definite answer. Not a great place to be then.
  • If we have to give the same answer today to Cambridge fans after ignoring the advice to have held a pitch inspection - an even worse task.
The two really bad scenarios are a) it's called off really late, and b) it's called off too early and the pitch turns our to be playable.

They'd have to have high levels of confidence that the game cannot proceed tomorrow based on current state and the weather forecast, to call it off now.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The two really bad scenarios are a) it's called off really late, and b) it's called off too early and the pitch turns our to be playable.

They'd have to have high levels of confidence that the game cannot proceed tomorrow based on current state and the weather forecast, to call it off now.
I dont see it that way. I think if there's any doubt, even a 15% chance, they'll call it off

Fareham Grecian

Well yes. Except that a) is a worse option for both clubs and both sets of fans, esp the travellers. Do we not have to compensate the away club if we cancel late?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do we not have to compensate the away club if we cancel late?
No idea, but I'd doubt it as WE aren't the ones doing the cancelling.

denzel

75 minutes later...any news?

Colesman Ballz

75 minutes later...any news?
If it's anything like the Barnsley game it will be down to the ref turning up late ! :cool:

Steve Moran3

Maybe kill two birds with one stone and the big new signing will announce if the game is off? 😀

Fareham Grecian

Further inspection tomorrow

Boyo

Well yes. Except that a) is a worse option for both clubs and both sets of fans, esp the travellers. Do we not have to compensate the away club if we cancel late?
I'd argue that an early cancellation when the game could have been played is more costly, as revenue is lower on a Tuesday night, but I totally accept your point about inconvenience for the fans, especially travellers.

Jammers20

Basically no news and another inspection at lunchtime tomorrow. what a waste of time if trying to stop Cambridge having to travel down. makes absolutely zero sense.