• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

ExmouthMart

Obviously a bad idea because the fans that don't want him would make life unbearable every time he got a bad result. Any other new manager would get more patience than him.
Exactly how many Fans don’t want him?! The usual suspects on here obviously but that’s a sweeping statement backed up by what?!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly how many Fans don’t want him?! The usual suspects on here obviously but that’s a sweeping statement backed up by what?!
I would guess that at least 80% of fans wouldn't want Tisdale back.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
How about an interim appointment until the end of the season? Here's a left-field shout...Sean O'Driscoll isn't doing anything since leaving Weymouth in January. Plenty of experience at this level. I enjoyed watching his Donny teams.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Managers appointed since Trust ownership:

2003 Eamonn Dolan - The right man for the job at that time. Instrumental in bring a sense of pride and commitment back to the club. Galvanised the fan base in our time of need.
2004 Alex Inglethorpe - Played a huge part in saving the club by masterminding our 2005 FA cup run and 'that' draw at Old Trafford. Popular amongst fan base. Now Acadamy Manager at Liverpool
2006 Paul Tisdale - Promotion back into the football league. Promotion to League One. Equal highest ever finish in the league. 4 play-off finals at Wembley (including our first ever appearance at Wembley). Beat the scum multiple times. PROPER CHAP
2018 King Matt Taylor
- Reconnected the fanbase and team after Tisdale's slightly sorry end. Made SJP a proper fortress. A steady hand during the trials of Covid. 1 play-off final at Wembley. Beat the scum 4-1. Promotion to League One. Very decent start in League One.

Essentially, a bleddy good track record. I'm just going to trust the system on this one and will get behind whoever they see fit to appoint.
Edited for completeness.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
How about an interim appointment until the end of the season? Here's a left-field shout...Sean O'Driscoll isn't doing anything since leaving Weymouth in January. Plenty of experience at this level. I enjoyed watching his Donny teams.
Not for me, Clive.

We need a manager for whom it has proper implications as to whether we stay up, stay put or get promoted.

Imagine we get in an interim, go up to the Championship and he leaves for Rotherham out of contract in May?

Cowshed Grecian

Massive decision coming up. We need to continue the upwards trajectory of the club (not necessarily position, but moving forwards with play style, academy development and League One status)

Needs to be a proper process and not internal IMO. We should be a very attractive prospect for a development coach from higher up. I want a young coach, fresh ideas and a definitive play style and I think that’s possible. Also an Eric Kinder style assistant.

Time to get cracking Taggy!
I want a manager who isn't going to change things massively this season, someone similar to Taylor who likes his 5 at the back, Wing backs....Edwards would be perfect but i guess he would be on too much money.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Short term interim appointed internally to look after things whilst we go through a proper recruitment process is the way forward. If the interim coach also wants to apply for the permannent position then thats up to them.

Albumen

I want a manager who isn't going to change things massively this season, someone similar to Taylor who likes his 5 at the back, Wing backs....Edwards would be perfect but i guess he would be on too much money.
We could do with a manager who likes to play 2 at the back.

Cowshed Grecian

Edited for completeness.
TISDALE...Not sure about PROPER Chap. PROPER something else perhaps!

Cowshed Grecian

We could do with a manager who likes to play 2 at the back.
Ossie Ardiles?