• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Osbourne may be open to offers if he thinks the amount is higher than what he'd get through administration and subsequent CVA.
You're probably right Boyo, But if you were the buyer, You'd want it cheap as possible and to me that would be via the administratior. It'll all pan out somehow.

DB9

Er, Torquay are not exactly the shining exemplar of investment into a Devon football club. Massive debts, lowest ever league position and and very uncertain future.
But according to their Trust someone is. 🤷

Tim Long

bUt nOOnE iS INteREsTeD iN bUYinG a cLuB iN dEvON
Craig or Peter?

Mid Devon Grecian

You're probably right Boyo, But if you were the buyer, You'd want it cheap as possible and to me that would be via the administratior. It'll all pan out somehow.
I guess you might get exclusivity if agree a deal with Osborne. You also lessen the relegation risk by dodging the points deduction

DB9

I guess you might get exclusivity if agree a deal with Osborne. You also lessen the relegation risk by dodging the points deduction
You might do but not only would have to pay for the club but have the ££££'s to run a club that is full time in the sixth tier of football, I'd imagine the "Easiest" bit would be purchasing the club, Running it, That's when you need the money because it would be still hemorrhaging cash whoever owns it, That is why they are in the position they find themselves in.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but that could also turn into a lottery.

Depends on your reasoning for wanting a club.

Mid Devon Grecian

You might do but not only would have to pay for the club but have the ££££'s to run a club that is full time in the sixth tier of football, I'd imagine the "Easiest" bit would be purchasing the club, Running it, That's when you need the money because it would be still hemorrhaging cash whoever owns it, That is why they are in the position they find themselves in.
Yeah, lots of due dilligence required especially contract position of playing staff. They appear to have a circa £1m pa deficit at present. Obvious place to save would be player budget.

Might have to go part time.

Read a piece about Macclesfield the other day. Bought by a local guy who’d sold his business and wanted to do something positive for the local community. He’s had a good degree of success but the money he’s spent (and still spending) was way beyond his initial estimates.

DB9

Yeah, lots of due dilligence required especially contract position of playing staff. They appear to have a circa £1m pa deficit at present. Obvious place to save would be player budget.

Might have to go part time.

Read a piece about Macclesfield the other day. Bought by a local guy who’d sold his business and wanted to do something positive for the local community. He’s had a good degree of success but the money he’s spent (and still spending) was way beyond his initial estimates.
I think the full time thing will be one of the big decision any potential new owner face. Its OK if you stay full time for that 1st initial season, A risky strategy but worked for TUFC last time, This time however, A 2nd season in the NLS full time? Big risk imo.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
bUt nOOnE iS INteREsTeD iN bUYinG a cLuB iN dEvON
Noone thinks this do they? Whether theres someone who wants to invest who'd do better than the trust is a whole different question. Not exactly overwhelmed with real world examples at approximately equivalent clubs.

DB9

Noone thinks this do they? Whether theres someone who wants to invest who'd do better than the trust is a whole different question. Not exactly overwhelmed with real world examples at approximately equivalent clubs.
Think quite a few have said "Who would buy etc" The Torquay trust have stated that they have no interest in buying the club, Only to "Facilitate" in the buying process, What ever that means.