• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good, Jambo will be releived!😀
We're all friends really, we collectively hate Argyle!

Rosencrantz

We're all friends really, we collectively hate Argyle!
There you go, something in common with GrecIan at last 🙂

Mid Devon Grecian

T

No, and no...

I do however think that we pay a lot of money for scouts and a recruitment team, we also pay a lot of money for a manager who knew the players needed replacing.

Why would I be naive to think that when we lose three players they need replacing....
Maybe I need to quote your own comment back to you?

“We could easily replace all three players spending 300k on each position leaving us with 100k plus in the pot”

Where is this striker shop with rows of £300k ready to go Lg1 standard strikers? Are their personal terms all within our budget, agents fees ok, have we got VAT covered? Are they happy to move to Exeter perhaps uprooting their families in the process?

Maybe we could save shed loads of cash by disbanding our recruitment, analysis and scouting team and just get you to do it gratis as it’s such a simple job.

geoffwp

It has been pretty obvious for ages that whatever outcomes arose this season Gary Caldwell was not going to be sacked.

So here is a different question:

If we were recruiting a new manager today would you appoint Gary Caldwell ?
Good question Al. Taking what has happened overall since his appointment, I'd be in the No
camp

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We’re not competing against ourselves 10 years ago, we’re up against clubs today most of whom have the ability to generate more cash than we do.
In football ambition has to be backed up with hard cash for it to be realised.
I would suggest that the clubs that comprised the League 1 table last time we were relegated had more resources available to them
#StillFuming.

Disgraceful behaviour by Tis that evening for all the reasons mentioned above. If anyone thought a team containing Clinton Morrison, Danny Butterfield, etc could hold a Liverpool to a draw for 60 minutes, they’re a £ucking idiot.

And this isn’t hindsight. I and 6,000 others said it as soon as the teams were announced. It was a stupid team selection, a huge metaphorical pin thrust into our Cup-run balloon.

Tosser.
Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think.

STURTZ

Good question Al. Taking what has happened overall since his appointment, I'd be in the No
camp
Still pining for Tis Geoff?

roger wellman

I wasn't going to post on this thread but still, I'm wound up. So here goes. We were 10 minutes away from penalties and a game in the quarter finals of the League Cup. For the first time ever. We got through to the 4th round of the League Cup for the first time in 35 years after not having a sniff of the 3rd round let alone 4th in those 35 years. And after beating a top tier side for the 1st time in 43 years. OK it was a rollercoaster of a season but we should finish the season with one of our top 10 post war league finishes. For me from following City since 1978 that is a bleddy good season. I've known City teams who couldn't keep possession for more than 4 passes then you might have something to moan about. Fully get behind the team then they might have a bit more confidence going forward.

geoffwp

Still pining for Tis Geoff?
Nah. If I was pining for anyone it would be Matt Taylor but no, just still unconvinced with Mr Cladwell.;)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't going to post on this thread but still, I'm wound up. So here goes. We were 10 minutes away from penalties and a game in the quarter finals of the League Cup. For the first time ever. We got through to the 4th round of the League Cup for the first time in 35 years after not having a sniff of the 3rd round let alone 4th in those 35 years. And after beating a top tier side for the 1st time in 43 years. OK it was a rollercoaster of a season but we should finish the season with one of our top 10 post war league finishes. For me from following City since 1978 that is a bleddy good season. I've known City teams who couldn't keep possession for more than 4 passes then you might have something to moan about. Fully get behind the team then they might have a bit more confidence going forward.
The league cup run was great. I don't think anyone has disputed that have they. Up until recently our league results where beyond terrible and the fact we only spent a week in the relegation zone is testament to hoe god awful the bottom end of lesgue one is this season. Ultimately league results are the most important thing, cup runs are bonuses and great fun, but league results are all that matters. Irrespective of performance and entertainment we appear now to have done enough to stay up and Caldwell has dragged himself (bar another doomed run) a crack at next season, but we can't pretend that we weren't awful in the league for a huge period of time this season because of a cup run, no matter how good it was.

Whilst nobody can dispute that last season Ipswich were by far the best team in L1 and Plymouth weren't too far behind, I didn't think much of Sheffield Wednesday in either of our games and at Hillsborough, with our severely weakened team, deserved at least a point.
Many of the same teams, Barnsley , Bolton and Peterborough are challenging again this season(with big investment)and only Portsmouth has shown a significant improvement and Derby with a minor improvement. One also needs to add Oxford; the latter three also having significant investment. So L1 maybe not as strong as last season, but despite large investment to the above teams, not massively so.
The teams near the bottom end mostly struggled to a degree last season and if staying up will probably do the same next.
The teams coming up will be stronger than those going down and the relegated teams from the Championship will probably be no great shakes either. Huddersfield and Rotherham may well struggle in L1 and the third team is anyone's guess.
L1 next season will be competitive, but I suggest the standard won't be much better than this season. Signing a striker or two and attracting the right players in key positions could even make us one of the competitive teams?