• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think if you asked the question "Should Gary Caldwell be sacked as Exeter City manager?", I doubt you would get more than 10-15% saying yes. If, however, you asked "Are you happy with Gary Caldwell as Exeter City manager?", I reckon you would see a pretty even split in responses.
Absolutely. I think this is probably why I haven't changed my vote - voting 'Caldwell in' suggests I'm really happy with everything at the moment - It's a bit more complicated than a simple in or out.

Last edited:

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think if you asked the question "Should Gary Caldwell be sacked as Exeter City manager?", I doubt you would get more than 10-15% saying yes. If, however, you asked "Are you happy with Gary Caldwell as Exeter City manager?", I reckon you would see a pretty even split in responses.
Yes, in answer to your sacking question - a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ rather than ‘out’ or ‘in’ would have been better for this poll.

‘Caldwell in’ has different connotations.

andrew p long

Yes, in answer to your sacking question - a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ rather than ‘out’ or ‘in’ would have been better for this poll.

funnily enough the opening post said 'needn't say more'.

If the question had been 'do you believe in Gary Caldwell?' that would have needed 3 options

1. Yes, I have faith in Gary Caldwell.
2. I do not believe in Gary Caldwell.
3. I am agnostic about Gary Caldwell.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolutely. I think this is probably why I haven't changed my vote - voting 'Caldwell in' suggests I'm really happy with everything at the moment - It's a bit more complicated than a simple in or out.

I think you're both over complicating it. Caldwell In or Out is pretty straightforward. Do you want him as manager or not?

JGrecian23

I think that's fair and a good point. I would still want him sacked personally as I'm bored stiff and have lost all enthusiasm for going to watch us play and I don't put it down to injuries and don't think it will improve next season.

Having said that, he has obviously worked hard to make us harder to beat which is the first thing you need to do when having the kind of spell we were having, and results have picked up, so I am well aware I am probably alone, or definitely in the minority with wanting him gone today.

Finishing 19th or 12th is irrelevant to me. I was worried for a large part of the season that we go down, now we're safe it's up to Caldwell to work on a more enjoyable matchday experience.

Grecian Max

I think you're both over complicating it. Caldwell In or Out is pretty straightforward. Do you want him as manager or not?
I do think there is currently an in between tbf

I’m not hugely convinced about the direction - we are yet to see it really come together

However I’m also willing to see if there is an end result to this season’s struggles given the relative improvement in 2024

He is set to achieve the main target which has to be survival in this league

Uncertain at the moment, although if you were to ask what my gut feel is - I don’t think the Caldwell era will be looked backed upon with particular warmth, perhaps more a shrug of shoulders

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do think there is currently an in between tbf

I’m not hugely convinced about the direction - we are yet to see it really come together

However I’m also willing to see if there is an end result to this season’s struggles given the relative improvement in 2024

He is set to achieve the main target which has to be survival in this league

Uncertain at the moment, although if you were to ask what my gut feel is - I don’t think the Caldwell era will be looked backed upon with particular warmth, perhaps more a shrug of shoulders
Agree with this.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably want someone else in the dugout, but he doesn't really deserve to lose his job at this stage because he is going to lead us to survival this season.

I just haven't really enjoyed this season, so hoping for better in the next campaign.

fred binneys head

Depends which division we're in when the question's asked :)

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it is a little more complicated.

I wouldn't advocate getting rid of Caldwell in the current situation we're in, but I'm still to be convinced by him. Would err on the side of keeping someone in post. That has changed since November, when I was convinced it was a matter of time and the sooner the better. He's done well to turn things round. So I've gone from thinking he should go to thinking he should stay, but with a low level of confidence.

JW57++

Perhaps the question should be whether or not we renew his contract. That is a decision that will be taken at some time.