• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Shaun MacDonald

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hadn’t he just about turned his back on pro football before we signed him?

I guess earning a decent wedge as our no2 for a few more years if the alternative is to start again in a new career might be ok for him?
He had been released by Cheltenham and presumably spent the summer looking for another pro club without success before signing for us in September so might have been looking like dropping out of the pro game. Like he said in his interview, he will still be looking to get to be first choice next season. Whether he does or not will have to be seen, but he has to believe it.

Bridgy 81

He seems popular in and around the squad, which is very nice but I hope he’s an adequate goalkeeper if he’s called on, as that’s his job.
Understandably he’s talking up his intention to challenge for the #1 spot so you also have to give him credit for his optimism.
But he’s 27 and as far as I can tell he’s never made a single appearance in the EFL.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hadn’t he just about turned his back on pro football before we signed him?

I guess earning a decent wedge as our no2 for a few more years if the alternative is to start again in a new career might be ok for him?
is the right answer.. Sometimes people over complicate or over think things. For a start Shaun isnt going to interview differently to I want to challenge for the Number 1. In reality he realises his own limitations and at the end of the day this is a job, a far cushier job than being on the building site and looking for a part time gig at NLS level. If I was him personally I would rather be number 2 at a pro club earning a salary than working on a building site then getting home at 2am after a six hour round trip playing for Truro or the like

andrew p long

is the right answer.. Sometimes people over complicate or over think things. For a start Shaun isnt going to interview differently to I want to challenge for the Number 1. In reality he realises his own limitations and at the end of the day this is a job, a far cushier job than being on the building site and looking for a part time gig at NLS level. If I was him personally I would rather be number 2 at a pro club earning a salary than working on a building site then getting home at 2am after a six hour round trip playing for Truro or the like
I think that's right. My only question would be over what constitutes 'a decent wedge'. I was half expecting this to be a convenient *cheap* signing for ECFC - McDonald's negotiating position isn't very strong. But what's cheap to us might be plenty enough for him for another year.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that's right. My only question would be over what constitutes 'a decent wedge'. I was half expecting this to be a convenient *cheap* signing for ECFC - McDonald's negotiating position isn't very strong. But what's cheap to us might be plenty enough for him for another year.
Most clubs seem to operate with a number two with some experience under their belts, someone fully capable of playing 6-8 games a season if needed. a number two like that comes at a higher cost. I see shaun as a number 2 in name only in that he would only be seen as filling in if the No1 was sent off or taken off in a match. Any longer absence would see an emergency GK brought into the club with McD then being number 2 to that GK. His CV thus far would indicate that if he hasn't 'made it' as a number 1 keeper by now he never will do. However, if this way enables us to free up money for a more experienced number 1 or allows us to put more money into getting someone like Woods on board then I'm all for it.

Bridgy 81

Most clubs seem to operate with a number two with some experience under their belts, someone fully capable of playing 6-8 games a season if needed. a number two like that comes at a higher cost. I see shaun as a number 2 in name only in that he would only be seen as filling in if the No1 was sent off or taken off in a match. Any longer absence would see an emergency GK brought into the club with McD then being number 2 to that GK. His CV thus far would indicate that if he hasn't 'made it' as a number 1 keeper by now he never will do. However, if this way enables us to free up money for a more experienced number 1 or allows us to put more money into getting someone like Woods on board then I'm all for it.
Granted, although if our new #1, whoever that may be, gets crocked once the season has started but after the transfer window has closed presumably we’d then have to go with MacDonald as we wouldn’t qualify for an emergency keeper.
Our other option in those circumstances would be to look at free agents.
Which was what MacDonald was in September last year!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's on approx 7k per month for training a few hours a day and warming the bench on a matchday. Money for old rope and only a fool wouldn't sign another contract.

Is he any good? He doesn't need to be. Cracking chap though.

older-codger

I guess he could be like Blackman - No.2 at Burton and I think has not played a league game all season despite their struggling.

andrew p long

Granted, although if our new #1, whoever that may be, gets crocked once the season has started but after the transfer window has closed presumably we’d then have to go with MacDonald as we wouldn’t qualify for an emergency keeper.
Our other option in those circumstances would be to look at free agents.
Which was what MacDonald was in September last year!
Or another option is to have Harry Lee on loan at a club at a level from which he could be recalled at short notice.

Grecian Max

Must admit I thought he was older than 27. Is he any good? I didn't see either of his appearances in the Pizza Cup
I think he was meant to be very good for Torquay in one particular season in the Conference and won POTY in 21/22

If he can excel at that level then you'd think he'd be decent cheapish cover in League One