• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Shaun MacDonald

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's on approx 7k per month for training a few hours a day and warming the bench on a matchday. Money for old rope and only a fool wouldn't sign another contract.

Is he any good? He doesn't need to be. Cracking chap though.
Reckon?

I know Exewebbers don't like discussing salaries and in this case we have no idea, but £1700 a week seems a bit steep to me.

I'd be surprised if he was on more than a grand a week...

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Reckon?

I know Exewebbers don't like discussing salaries and in this case we have no idea, but £1700 a week seems a bit steep to me.

£48,000 seems quite low for the inflated world of football, take home isn't great (nor terrible) from that

I suppose with the lifestyle factor perhaps he'd take that but football is a short career and can imagine he could get more for a Conf side

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reckon?

Whilst it appears according to the interweb that average L1 salaries are just over 4k a week that is skewed upwards by the bigger clubs. For the other two thirds like ourselves the average salary is probably half of that or less. I can't imagine we have many earners on 3k a week and suspect the majority of the first team squad to be in the 1500-2500 range. Therefore, my own complete guesswork is that the 2nd GK would be on more than the young pro's but less than the average of the 1st team squad players. I'm going 1350 a week which still add's up to 70k a year considerably more than working on a building site :ROFLMAO:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
£48,000 seems quite low for the inflated world of football, take home isn't great (nor terrible) from that

I suppose with the lifestyle factor perhaps he'd take that but football is a short career and can imagine he could get more for a Conf side
But am I right in thinking that before we took him he wasn't doing anything?

£48k to play football every day and seemingly have a laugh doing it or do something outside of the game that'll likely pay a lot less than £48k...

Grecian Max

But am I right in thinking that before we took him he wasn't doing anything?

£48k to play football every day and seemingly have a laugh doing it or do something outside of the game that'll likely pay a lot less than £48k...
He'd been released from Cheltenham in the summer and signed in September as a free agent so probs a tad unfair to say he wasn't doing anything

A lot of players will have been in that position

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
He'd been released from Cheltenham in the summer and signed in September as a free agent so probs a tad unfair to say he wasn't doing anything

A lot of players will have been in that position
My mistake, I was under the impression he'd pretty much given up on the game.

A Torquay supporting friend of mine was fuming when he signed for us, apparently they'd offered him a deal on more than one occasion and he turned them down which is quite amusing but not that relevant.

Bridgy 81

I think there’s a risk of him and the club over egging the joker in the pack role he appears to have in our squad.
I appreciate good relationships and atmosphere in work groups are important but involvement in that shouldn’t detract from the serious business of why you’re there in the first place.
If he’s going to be our League One backup keeper next season, fair enough.
I haven’t seen enough of him to form a view of his playing abilities and defer to Kevin Miller on that one.
But I’d personally like to see a bit less of him in the lift at the training ground etc and generally messing about.
I think he may have started to get that message himself as even in his official contract extension interview when he said he will be aiming to compete for the #1 spot he had to decline an invitation to tell a joke, saying this is a serious interview!
Maybe show a few more videos of him training/playing and concentrating on his goalkeeping and demonstrating he’s ready and able to do a job for us if or when required on the pitch and a few less of him just mucking about?

dontpassback

Seems like a decent bloke,and a team player,who assists on the pitch and off it,that obviously helps with team spirit,which has been very apparent in the last few games,so I am glad he has signed for a bit longer,it’s not always about on the pitch,but behind the scenes as well,so good news for us !

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think there’s a risk of him and the club over egging the joker in the pack role he appears to have in our squad.
I appreciate good relationships and atmosphere in work groups are important but involvement in that shouldn’t detract from the serious business of why you’re there in the first place.
If he’s going to be our League One backup keeper next season, fair enough.
I haven’t seen enough of him to form a view of his playing abilities and defer to Kevin Miller on that one.
But I’d personally like to see a bit less of him in the lift at the training ground etc and generally messing about.
I think he may have started to get that message himself as even in his official contract extension interview when he said he will be aiming to compete for the #1 spot he had to decline an invitation to tell a joke, saying this is a serious interview!
Maybe show a few more videos of him training/playing and concentrating on his goalkeeping and demonstrating he’s ready and able to do a job for us if or when required on the pitch and a few less of him just mucking about?
Don't agree with this.

Videos of players being themselves and having a laugh builds rapport and a connection between the players and the fans.

It's good to see the players clearly enjoy going to work each day, what's wrong with that?

I like MacDonald despite having never seen him play...

Spoonz Red E

My mistake, I was under the impression he'd pretty much given up on the game.

A Torquay supporting friend of mine was fuming when he signed for us, apparently they'd offered him a deal on more than one occasion and he turned them down which is quite amusing but not that relevant.
He knew that Torquay didn't have a slow lift ...

.... both in terms of facilities and footballing prospects.