• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

20 Years of Trust

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
People are only going to come knocking it we’re on the shelf in the first place. In the Wrexham documentary they were actively looking for clubs either for sale or had made it clear publically they were open to investment or a sale. Unless I’ve missed something we haven’t done that and appear a closed shop.
Agree with this, but the reality is, we are a closed shop until the there is demand for a change. Perhaps a resolution to the next Trust AGM is needed? At the moment, I wouldn't support it, but it would be interest to gauge the view on the membership.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also worth reflecting that it is likely that a lot of people at ECFC ate here because of our model.

lamrobhero

If the Trust lost control then I would no longer support the Club because it would no longer be mine.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the Trust lost control then I would no longer support the Club because it would no longer be mine.
I share this sentiment. That's why I wouldn't support a loss of control.

ExmouthMart

Much the expected reply Max.
Just a couple of points, then I'll shut up.

(1) I believe in the trust model, but certainly don't think it's perfect. I am certainly not a "Trust evangelist". In fact, I am an atheist. My mantra is that the trust model has never been fully tested. Tisdale never really bought into it (or Perryman). MT partially did, but I believe GC fully does and should be given the chance to see how far he can take us.

(2) In a previous post you were waxing lyrical about York City's new owners, the Ugglas. Their company, 394 Sports was incorporated on 21st June this year, 6 days before it was announced they had taken the club over. It could yet turn out to be another Glenn Henderson scenario. One thing I guarantee, with a 51% holding, they will give lip service to fan involvement. Lip service is all it will be. Too many lower league clubs have been here before.

(3) I am not sure that the proposed takeover has yet been approved by the FA and the National League.

Have a nice evening.
What makes you believe Caldwell fully believes in the trust model?! It’s a unique opportunity for him to test himself without the axe constantly hovering over him. If he proves himself with us he will off back to Scotland. Don’t get me wrong I like him far better than Taylor, who I can’t believe you think only partly believed in it!
Maybe one day the whole anti Tisdale movement will finally be fully explained. I can’t believe it’s to do with upsetting someone at a fans forum. Tisdale was part of our initial success to get where we are now. He signed the roller he was offered. If you can’t back it up don’t offer it in the first place.

ExmouthMart

How many people then would stop supporting City if the trust wasn’t running it?! Seriously…… I’ll support City as the saying goes till I die. We are living an unsustainable dream at the moment. We need to sell players to survive. Its the only real generator of serious money we have. We have been incredibly lucky to have such talented players we can cash in on. Let’s hope it continues……

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
How many people then would stop supporting City if the trust wasn’t running it?! Seriously…… I’ll support City as the saying goes till I die. We are living an unsustainable dream at the moment. We need to sell players to survive. It the only real generator of serious money we have. We have been incredibly lucky to have such talented players we can cash in on. Let’s hope it continues……
This is largely true, but I would argue it is actually true for a lot of clubs. Whilst it is also true that many supporters will still support City with new owners, uou must accept that there will also be many that won't. Many people believe in Supporter Ownership and value the sense of ownership that it brings.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
The club owns nothing of real value. On the face it, difficult to imagine any attraction for the 'investor' other than a wealthy City-supporting benefactor, and they don't grow on trees.

I'd be sceptical of outside investment, even if well meaning, because they could always sell the club on to somebody who isn't. It's happened already, as we know.

Here's to another 20 years of Trust ownership, at whatever level the club finds itself.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
😂 right

The Trust has been great but was brought in as an emergency measure, it doesn’t define our club

You must have supported the club prior to this change right?
Much the expected reply Max.
Just a couple of points, then I'll shut up.

(1) I believe in the trust model, but certainly don't think it's perfect. I am certainly not a "Trust evangelist". In fact, I am an atheist. My mantra is that the trust model has never been fully tested. Tisdale never really bought into it (or Perryman). MT partially did, but I believe GC fully does and should be given the chance to see how far he can take us.

(2) In a previous post you were waxing lyrical about York City's new owners, the Ugglas. Their company, 394 Sports was incorporated on 21st June this year, 6 days before it was announced they had taken the club over. It could yet turn out to be another Glenn Henderson scenario. One thing I guarantee, with a 51% holding, they will give lip service to fan involvement. Lip service is all it will be. Too many lower league clubs have been here before.

(3) I am not sure that the proposed takeover has yet been approved by the FA and the National League.

Have a nice evening.
I don’t think those points really answer what I was saying though, I do appreciate the politeness tho :)

You also mention you guarantee something which is impossible for you to do so

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Trust has been great but was brought in as an emergency measure, it doesn’t define our club
It really does Max.