• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2022 Trust AGM and Potential Trust Board Election

Phillip

In case anyone has missed this. Nominations for potential election to the Trust Board close on 1st October. Details on the Trust Website.

https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/post/trust-election-2022-and-agm-nominations-to-board-now-open

David Treharne

Don't think that its very helpful to have listed a list of 'possible attributes' needed. The Trust Borad is probably going to lose a range of very experienced Trustees this year, whose range of expertise covers a remarkable number of skills and some applied dedication to specific parts of Trust activity. It would therefore seem important have as wide a range of candidiates as possible without suggesting that certain skills are more appropriate than others. The Trust has developed and changed over 20 years, not by best guessing skills that are needed, but by encouaging as wide a range of people with as diverse a set of skills as possible to participate.It is useful to stress that time and patience are essential attributes, but divergence views and new ideas would seem to be as important as any other perceived skills.
If I was wishing to be facetious I'd also add that skills attributal to a super-tanker skipper would also help; but I wasn't, so I wont'

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't think that it's very helpful to have listed a list of 'possible attributes' needed.
The movie "Divergent" was on TV last night.
Just sayin'...

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is that a "Southern League Super-Tanker, Dr D? 😜

andrew p long

I've always been a bit puzzled by the criteria for being on the Trust Board. It seems to be that the qualities of an executive are sought by the Trust/claimed by candidates, whereas I (wrongly?) assumed that the Trust (and Club) Board functioned as non executives.

Many candidates say 'if elected I could help with ..x..' However do you need to be elected as a Trustee to help out, to be a volunteer, do useful and valuable things for the Trust/Club?

lamrobhero

Not sure what this means (from July (Edit) 2022 Trust Board minutes):

The Articles, he (NH) said, are often criticised. An alternative, he said, would be to take the CTA
and the Governance manual out of the Articles and include in the Articles wording such as
“Club Directors cannot sell the Club or move the stadium. There was a suggestion to add “or
change the Club’s colours” Looking to the future, maybe we should be looking at a way to
grow the Trust but with more gentle control.

The Trust Board probably now has more responsibility than the Club Board and this needs to
considered with an eye on the future. The Trust Board needs to consider where we go from
here. The two Trust appointed directors have a very difficult and time-consuming job and
one is due to stand down this year.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I've always been a bit puzzled by the criteria for being on the Trust Board. It seems to be that the qualities of an executive are sought by the Trust/claimed by candidates, whereas I (wrongly?) assumed that the Trust (and Club) Board functioned as non executives.

Many candidates say 'if elected I could help with ..x..' However do you need to be elected as a Trustee to help out, to be a volunteer, do useful and valuable things for the Trust/Club?
No. Definitely not, but then, in that capacity, you are not representing the shareholders (i.e., the members) interests directly.

When you boil it down, that is the ultimate responsibility of a Trustee.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

The same could be said for the additional Club directors appointed in the last year or so. At one point there were IIRC 11 board members.

There are still 9, only three of whom are Trust Board members. Does a company of the size of ECFC need so many?

Some of them are described as non-voting but in law all directors of a company have a vote.

Matt Russell

The same could be said for the additional Club directors appointed in the last year or so. At one point there were IIRC 11 board members.

There are still 9, only three of whom are Trust Board members. Does a company of the size of ECFC need so many?

Some of them are described as non-voting but in law all directors of a company have a vote.
You're surely not suggesting that the Trust are not living up to their stated position of parity on the Club Board?

Phillip

Just a reminder that nominations for the Trust Board close on Saturday. Details on the Trust Website.

https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/post/trust-election-2022-and-agm-nominations-to-board-now-open