• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

Mid Devon Grecian

As Joni Mitchell wrote :
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone . . . . 🎵🎵
I think him and Kite are rated way too highly by a lot of our fans. Not every Academy product is going to hit the big time. I’d take Jules and Purrington over him every time.

Mid Devon Grecian

"... they paved Home Park and put up a parking lot" :ROFLMAO:
Great idea

Beexfor

I think him and Kite are rated way too highly by a lot of our fans. Not every Academy product is going to hit the big time. I’d take Jules and Purrington over him every time.
I don’t think either are good enough to hit the big time, but both are excellent squad players at this level and even toward the top of league one - Alex especially being left footed centre half and absolutely free in the summer. See Jack Sparkes as a prime example last year!!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
As much as a like Hartridge and his obvious strengths I can't imagine he would be an attractive signing for any club with an eye on promotion to the Championship. I hope he stays here.
I thin Beexfor has beaten me to it, but ....

what chance is there that one of our academy products, surplus to requirements and not getting game time at City, winning promotion from League One elsewhere...?

League One is now a squad game; you need two players for every position, left sided defensive players are in short supply, Hartridge is available on a free, his current wages were set in a contract he signed IIRC when in League Two, Bristol Rovers are short of left sided central defenders especially since George Friend's retirement from playing etc.

elginCity

Re salary, wouldn’t a lengthy contract have a promotion/relegation clause ? Surprised if not.

Mid Devon Grecian

I don’t think either are good enough to hit the big time, but both are excellent squad players at this level and even toward the top of league one - Alex especially being left footed centre half and absolutely free in the summer. See Jack Sparkes as a prime example last year!!
Hmm I never recall Sparkes losing concentration regularly or having real stinkers of performances. Caldwell wants pace on the wide positions Jack doesn’t have that and was let go.

you say both are excellent squad players and I’d agree, I don’t expect the players themselves agree with that. They’d expect to be in the team most weeks.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think some of us forget that the player themselves ultimately decide where their future lies. once you over over 24 you will normally exercise your choice as did JMT, Sercs and Pym before. Kite and Hartridge will both have seen what can happen when a fresh challenge is put in front of you. Of course the risk is that a Pompey doesn't come calling and that you end up at Yeovil or Woking and never return back to the football league?

SidwellOldboy

Captain today.. a golden goodbye or a ‘stay and all this could be yours..’

denzel

As much as a like Hartridge and his obvious strengths I can't imagine he would be an attractive signing for any club with an eye on promotion to the Championship. I hope he stays here.
We all thought that about Jack Sparkes!

TotnesGrecian

Captain today.. a golden goodbye or a ‘stay and all this could be yours..’
I'm told it is a golden goodbye...