• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst I'm not saying this has happened, you have to accept that we could have offered a poor deal to him as a token so we can trot out the line that we tried to keep him.

"Thanks for the work Alex, we want to offer you a 1 year deal on half your current wages". No? Ah well we tried.
Whilst maybe not as extreme as that, we're only going to offer what GC thinks he's worth. If GC only sees him as a backup and wants to spend his limited budget elsewhere then he won't have been offered much. That's football.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Spanky you are on fire this morning. You've woken up, had your Weetabix and gone for it. Never seen so many sensible post spot on.

Soon you'll be at my level!
Must be my ultra positivity. 🥳

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Must be my ultra positivity. 🥳
Time to start the We'll always find ways to criticise Caldwell, even if we keep winning, Club.

President- MJP

Executive Committee - Spanks, JGrecian23 plus others to be nominated.

Self nominations welcome

ryancooper327

For sure we offered an improved deal, but this won't come near to matching clubs with deeper pockets than ourselves and as others have said we do already have two good left sided defenders. He'll probably go to Bristol Rovers( looking at their current form they need him) on a long deal. Class from GC yesterday giving him the captaincy.
There’s a few teams in L1/2 that play 3 at the back. For example Salford, Bradford, Wrexham in L2 and the likes of Barnsley, Rovers, and Charlton in L1. He could fit into any of them.

For what it’s worth, I’d like him to stay but it’s apparent that he would like to try something new.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Alex, like Sparkes, JMT, Sercs and Pym before him needs/ed a new challenge. Playing for the same club for years is comfortable but eventually catches up with you as performances begin to drop when you are in your comfort zone and get bored of the same voice and surroundings. Bit like relationships really ...... boredom is a killer :)

Best of luck Alex it's time for a new challenge

cambmike

For sure we offered an improved deal, but this won't come near to matching clubs with deeper pockets than ourselves and as others have said we do already have two good left sided defenders. He'll probably go to Bristol Rovers( looking at their current form they need him) on a long deal. Class from GC yesterday giving him the captaincy.
Alex and others will look at how players have fared away from City and make choices. Sparkes for instance has played 39 times for the team at the top of League 1 and provided lots of assists and chances for Portsmouth. Who wouldn't want to part of something like that. Obviously tempered by Matt Jay's experience but its a short career and you don't want to look back with regrets.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Time to start the We'll always find ways to criticise Caldwell, even if we keep winning, Club.

President- MJP

Executive Committee - Spanks, JGrecian23 plus others to be nominated.

Self nominations welcome
Jeez Art, read a little buddy.

None of my posts today have criticised Gary. Not one. In fact, I haven’t posted a negative one in months.

I’ve even used “plaudits” and “Gary” in the same sentence, and that’s still a negative in your eyes.

🤦🏻‍♂️

dontpassback

Puts hand up, 25 years this September.
I spent 40 plus years in the plant hire industry

Alistair20000

Jeez Art, read a little buddy.

None of my posts today have criticised Gary. Not one. In fact, I haven’t posted a negative one in months.

I’ve even used “plaudits” and “Gary” in the same sentence, and that’s still a negative in your eyes.

🤦🏻‍♂️
Indeed Spankers.

Dear old art seems a bit off the pace at present. I have just prayed for him :)

Rosencrantz

Alex is definitely a L1 quality player and still has potential to go higher. I have never seen his passing and distribution as a problem when he is on form. He does have a few bad spells in him and it does seem to stem from drops in concentration rather than confidence. He also took a few years as a pro to establish himself in the first team, a continued sign of the clubs patience in giving younger players time if they show the promise.

As pointed out above, he joins a list of players who once they reach 24 choose to spread their wings on a free because whilst they have shown themselves to be good players at L1/2 level, no other club have valued them enough to come in with a bid acceptable by City. But on a free, they line up to take them and the players are at a stage for a new challenge. You can go all the way back to Jon Richardson for an example as well as Sercs, Christy and JMT.