• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
You can't blame anyone who has been at a club since they were very young for wanting to dip their toe in the water elsewhere. How many of us stay at the same place of work for 15 years?
I'm sure he will get a good club and wish him well.
Puts hand up, 25 years this September.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't agree with Hartridge getting man of match today. He did OK but Aimson was by far our best defender.

As others have said, on his day Hartridge is a classy defender. His distribution overall is what let's him down.

I'm not happy or sad he's leaving. Thank you for the memories and the performances but we'll quickly move on, as will he.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I’m going to go out in a limb then…

I think Alex is a lot better than most here are making out, and I don’t think his distribution is terrible at all, he’s really good on the ball. His problem, imho, is confidence. He’s either over confident, and lingering before passing, or under confident and taking another a touch too many. Get him in his sweet spot and he’s as good a ball playing defender as I’ve ever seen in our shirt.

elginCity

Confidence, or is it concentraton ? End result the same = lack of consistency in performance means a vulnerable defence and probably happened far too often for comfort. Hope he sorts that aspect of his game, because as many have said - when he's on it, he's a very good player. Good luck, Alex.

Grecian Max

Confidence, or is it concentraton ? End result the same = lack of consistency in performance means a vulnerable defence and probably happened far too often for comfort. Hope he sorts that aspect of his game, because as many have said - when he's on it, he's a very good player. Good luck, Alex.
Whenever I’ve seen him interviewed he seems like a really chilled guy and I wonder if that personality type gets into his game a bit

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seen a few question whether the club is allowing him to leave. Caldwell has said we've offered him contracts and he's CHOSEN to leave. Good luck to him, he's obviously got a decent offer on the table from somewhere.

Got to be honest, I've never really fancied him. Nice lad and great he's come through the academy etc but ultimately I think we have better left sided central defenders (personal choice).

Hope he goes on to prove me wrong playing in the championship.

DawlishBouy

Apart from saying "we need to be better" the thing Caldwell says in his interviews more than anything is "we need to be braver". Alex paid the price for being brave. He, more than any other defender was the one trying to play those incisive, aggressive but high risk attacking passes called for by the manager. As more of those passes went astray so did his confidence and his defending suffered as a consequence. His replacement, Jules, has looked safer but only because he appears to be asked to play safe sideways passes or chips down the wing. If Caldwell demands Jules to start being "braver" with his passing you could see his game unravel even more drastically than Alex’s. In my opinion Alex has the ability to play to a standard way beyond any of our other defenders.

JGrecian23

Well, I’m going to go out in a limb then…

I think Alex is a lot better than most here are making out, and I don’t think his distribution is terrible at all, he’s really good on the ball. His problem, imho, is confidence. He’s either over confident, and lingering before passing, or under confident and taking another a touch too many. Get him in his sweet spot and he’s as good a ball playing defender as I’ve ever seen in our shirt.
Spanky you are on fire this morning. You've woken up, had your Weetabix and gone for it. Never seen so many sensible post spot on.

Soon you'll be at my level!

JGrecian23

Seen a few question whether the club is allowing him to leave. Caldwell has said we've offered him contracts and he's CHOSEN to leave. Good luck to him, he's obviously got a decent offer on the table from somewhere.

Got to be honest, I've never really fancied him. Nice lad and great he's come through the academy etc but ultimately I think we have better left sided central defenders (personal choice).

Hope he goes on to prove me wrong playing in the championship.
Whilst I'm not saying this has happened, you have to accept that we could have offered a poor deal to him as a token so we can trot out the line that we tried to keep him.

"Thanks for the work Alex, we want to offer you a 1 year deal on half your current wages". No? Ah well we tried.

For sure we offered an improved deal, but this won't come near to matching clubs with deeper pockets than ourselves and as others have said we do already have two good left sided defenders. He'll probably go to Bristol Rovers( looking at their current form they need him) on a long deal. Class from GC yesterday giving him the captaincy.