• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
On topic...

Alex Hartridge on leaving Exeter City

At his age he's absolutely right to try something new and "scratch that itch", these lads don't get the option to go Uni or work elsewhere etc to try out different areas/cities so understand where he's coming from in his mid-20s

Exehausted

Really honest interview in that he says he doesn't know what's next for him.

Brave decision if that's the case and I genuinely hope it works out for him.
Obviously nothing can be signed yet, but I'm sure his agent has been touting his name around a lot of clubs and he will be aware of where he might end up. I'm sure it will be a bigger club than us and certainly on a lot more money. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a big League One club or one that gets promoted to the Championship. I know a lot of people will laugh at that comment, like they did at Jack last year and look how well he's done. He might not be first choice like Jack isn't but I'm sure he will be a good squad player for someone higher up the food chain than us.

Bridgy 81

Yes, you’d imagine he and ‘his people’ have been putting feelers out (as far as is permitted of course).
But it’s likely nothing specific has been decided or agreed yet as a lot of clubs don’t know at this stage who their Manager will be next season or even in some cases what league they’ll be competing in.
He’ll obviously be looking to develop his football career in relation to its playing level and his personal finances but as he mentions in the article there are other factors for him to have decided to move.
Alex has always struck me as an interesting bloke and although I’ve got no idea of his circumstances in his mid-twenties he’s probably keen to explore and hopefully enjoy some different experiences.
Good luck to him.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
On topic...

Alex Hartridge on leaving Exeter City

I thought it was a done deal he was off to Rovers :rolleyes:

If I were him and it was possible I'd go and play abroad.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The last couple of paragraphs from that article are fascinating. I remember Josh Key saying almost exactly the same things last season - & I'm sure he (as well as other academy graduates who have moved on) will have been talking with Alex about how things have worked out for them.

I think it's the right move, for both the player & the Club. This is the best moment for him to take on a new challenge, & if he's going to take his game to the next level, it's most likely he'll be able to do so at a new club.

For what it's worth, I think his form this season partly parallels Key's from last season - both seemed to take a bit of a step backwards in their development.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The full interview on BBC Sounds

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
At his age he's absolutely right to try something new and "scratch that itch", these lads don't get the option to go Uni or work elsewhere etc to try out different areas/cities so understand where he's coming from in his mid-20s
Hope scratching the itch nothing to do with having to share towels !

andrew p long

The situation is of course that Alex decided a long time ago (possibly in MT's time) that he wasn't going to sign a new contract with City and so would leave this summer. Knowing that, GC had to plan for next season and so has sensibly brought in Jules and Purrington, so we won't be scrabbling around for left sided central defenders this summer.Those two have then replaced Alex during the second half of this season.

The comparison with school leavers going off to university springs to mind. Such 18/19 year olds brought up in Devon get the benefit of going off to bigger/different cities and to see what life outside Devon feels/looks like. Alex is 25 and has never lived outside Devon. Unsurprising that he sees it as time for a move.

And unsurprising that nothing has been fixed up yet. So much can change between transfer windows - the obvious possibility of joining MT at Bristol Rovers might disappear if MT is sacked - and I seem to recall with Ollie Watkins that most/many of the managers who bid for him in January 2017 were gone by the time the summer window came round.

Grecian Max

The situation is of course that Alex decided a long time ago (possibly in MT's time) that he wasn't going to sign a new contract with City and so would leave this summer. Knowing that, GC had to plan for next season and so has sensibly brought in Jules and Purrington, so we won't be scrabbling around for left sided central defenders this summer.Those two have then replaced Alex during the second half of this season.

The comparison with school leavers going off to university springs to mind. Such 18/19 year olds brought up in Devon get the benefit of going off to bigger/different cities and to see what life outside Devon feels/looks like. Alex is 25 and has never lived outside Devon. Unsurprising that he sees it as time for a move.

And unsurprising that nothing has been fixed up yet. So much can change between transfer windows - the obvious possibility of joining MT at Bristol Rovers might disappear if MT is sacked - and I seem to recall with Ollie Watkins that most/many of the managers who bid for him in January 2017 were gone by the time the summer window came round.
I wouldn't discount Peterborough

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't discount Peterborough
Too inland for his surfing