• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

grecianstew

Hartridge is a victim of the GC system same as Sparkes. And like Sparkes he will probably be much better in a team playing a flat back 4.
Disagree with that. He was doing really well in "the GC system" but then mysteriously stopped doing really well and became a liability. Don't really know why, but have seen no evidence to suggest that "attitude" is the cause. Usually where that is the case it is plain for all to see!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hartridge is a victim of the GC system same as Sparkes. And like Sparkes he will probably be much better in a team playing a flat back 4.
Don't agree with this. I think Hartridge is best on the left of a back 3, I wouldn't trust him in a 2.

The problem with Hartridge is when he's bad he has an absolute stinker, you can't hang your hat on him.
I like to have a hero in the team. For some reason that mantle has fallen on Alex "Beckenbauer" Hartridge. Continuing the Beckenbauer theme I wonder of smewhere in his development he should have played in central midfield ?

My "reserve hero" at the moment is Vinnie.
Hartridge can't play central midfield, nowhere near good enough technically.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think I saw his debut (not sure) or certainly one of his early games. I was impressed and thought he looked good if a little raw. In classic Matt Taylor style in his post match interview he basically said he’s still too raw and promptly sent him out on loan never to be seen again for a few months.

I accept that professional coaches see things I don’t
Think his debut was against Blackpool in the FA Cup at SJP he certainly did make a favourable impression that day.

Last edited:

Bridgy 81

I saw what I seem to remember was Alex’s league debut.
He played left back I think.
It was against Grimsby in a 1:2 home defeat late December 2018.
My biggest memory of that match though was the rearguard action by the away defence and an absolutely incredible performance by their keeper, McKeown.
He was brilliant that day.
I’ve just looked him up to see what he’s doing these days.
Apparently he left Grimsby in 2022 after 11 seasons with them and over 500 matches.
Last report he was playing non-league at nearby Cleethorpes.
Anyway, back to Alex Hartridge.

JCWhoosh

Alex is a capable squad player for us on the left of a back 3 and hope he sticks around (I doubt it though)
Thankfully Jules has come in and cemented that position and imo we have been better for it.
Hopefully Alex gets some time playing now Jules is serving his ban. Won't surprise me though if we don't see Purrington in there and switch Niskanen to left wing back.
I am proud of our academy and what it brings and long may it continue but it's a results business at the end of the day and GC can't be too sentimental when we are fighting for survival.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Alex has all the physical attributes to be a very good LCB especially in a back 3 and he has shown this in both MT's and GC's tenure. However; the same issues have persisted with Alex in terms of his concentration levels and consistency. On his day like many have said he is very good, but he still has those days where he can be a liability and look too casual and not focused within the game.
He seems a great humble guy, but also quite a laid back character and I think this can sometimes show in his game as for me he lacks that bit of aggression to be a really high level player. Like I said athletically he has the tools and is left footed which is a massive bonus but it is still the mental side of the game where he needs to continue to improve, and MT also talked about this on several occasions.

From what I was told Alex also informed the club quite some time ago (even back when MT was with us last year) that he wouldn't be signing a new contract. GC continued to play him as his form meant he deserved to play, and he was probably still trying to convince him to sign a new deal. However; once his form dipped (which it definitely did), and the fact that he was off this summer anyway GC moved on and I think this has been the right decision.

It is a shame as I would like Alex to stay with us as I think GC can still improve him, but it looks like he will be off this summer and his mind had been made up for a while which may have also affected his form.

Stelios

I saw what I seem to remember was Alex’s league debut.
He played left back I think.
It was against Grimsby in a 1:2 home defeat late December 2018.
My biggest memory of that match though was the rearguard action by the away defence and an absolutely incredible performance by their keeper, 6McKeown.
He was brilliant that day.
I’ve just looked him up to see what he’s doing these days.
Apparently he left Grimsby in 2022 after 11 seasons with them and over 500 matches.
Last report he was playing non-league at nearby Cleethorpes.
Anyway, back to Alex Hartridge.
That rings a bell. I think that's the game I was thinking of. It was a great game despite the result

STURTZ

How on earth would you know that?
By attitude I mean the relaxed way he often just gives the ball to the opposition and seems uncaring in his defensive duties.

He can be a quality center back when his mind is on it. That's why I want him to play!

Last edited:

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hartridge is a confidence player. When he got last got sent off,he had a few unfortunate moments after that and he never quite recovered his form.If can put in a couple of solid performances while Jules is out,we should see the Hartridge that was being tipped to play for a higher wage.

Spoonz Red E

Hartridge is a confidence player. When he got last got sent off,he had a few unfortunate moments after that and he never quite recovered his form.If can put in a couple of solid performances while Jules is out,we should see the Hartridge that was being tipped to play for a higher wage.
He needs a chat with Sweeney perhaps.

A couple of seasons ago Sweeney's head used to drop after a couple of misplaced passes or similar.
He now seems to have got that out of his game.