• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

Memphis09

When he plays like he did today he’s easily our best left sided defender.
Still can’t pass the ball to a city player
That’s what let’s him down and to slow on the turn
We have much better options in Jules and purrington

Memphis09

Brilliant player for us and hope he gets a good move. More than good enough for League 1. Think it’s probs his passing ability that isn’t quite to Gary’s liking as he does tend to hit them wayward a lot if the time. Can also dribble his way into trouble. Difficult when you've got Jules and now Purrington playing for the same position. Good enough to be first choice in another team so makes sense. Another one of our own that will go on to have a great career. Thank you Alex
At best league two player

Memphis09

Its League 1 not the Premier League. Diabete doesn't need to be John Stones. He's a perfectly good League 1 defender. He would also be a big loss.

Let's not forget Sweeny ain't getting younger and imo recently has looked a bit of a liability in the games I've seen.
Sweeney was awesome yesterday again

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
You make a valid point. It is a missed financial opportunity for City and poor financial management. Let a player go on a free if you think the player is playing above their level at City and will go on to lesser things. Too many times we waste our Academy product by not thinking ahead and losing sight of players who have ability to play at a higher level and do so, The players you mentioned are examples where we got it wrong
How can any of those players be examples of where the club got it wrong? the club in the case of all of them (publically acknowledged) offered the players contracts before they turned 24 but the player turned the contract down seeking to leave when their contracts expired. That is player freedom of choice unless you are suggesting we have powers of coercion :ROFLMAO:

Memphis09

Well, I’m going to go out in a limb then…

I think Alex is a lot better than most here are making out, and I don’t think his distribution is terrible at all, he’s really good on the ball. His problem, imho, is confidence. He’s either over confident, and lingering before passing, or under confident and taking another a touch too many. Get him in his sweet spot and he’s as good a ball playing defender as I’ve ever seen in our shirt.
How many games have you watched
Even Matt Taylor use to take the mickey out of his passing ability

Memphis09

Alex and others will look at how players have fared away from City and make choices. Sparkes for instance has played 39 times for the team at the top of League 1 and provided lots of assists and chances for Portsmouth. Who wouldn't want to part of something like that. Obviously tempered by Matt Jay's experience but its a short career and you don't want to look back with regrets.
Not played 39 games most of them he has been a used sub

Mid Devon Grecian

I reckon Alex would be a good fit for AFC Wimbledon.
They’re knocking on the door of the L2 playoffs this season and have Terry Skiverton (ex Yeovil) and also Ashley Bayes (ex us] on their coaching team.
Plus, I could see him strutting his cool stuff in South London.
Good luck to him.
Good shout Bridgy.

At 25 he’s still not able to concentrate for a full game consistently. Some have also said he’s been exposed for ‘being brave’ playing out of defence. Standing on the left side of the big bank it looks more like he hasn’t got the decision making quality that Jules has.

Alex dithers too much then often hoofs it up field or shanks it into the Nevada. Zak will react quicker, find a pass or take it forward himself. Just way more assured.

I’d also add that Gary’s actions and words in respect of Alex leaving were very honourable and classy.

Last edited:

Beexfor

Think he’ll be snapped up by a larger financed league 1 club than us - we have offered him improved deals which are clearly no where near what he can get elsewhere, we obviously would have liked him to stay. I think it’s naive to think he is not signing due to a lack of game time or for a new experience- if we offered him a massive wage I am sure he would stay.

Mid Devon Grecian

Think he’ll be snapped up by a larger financed league 1 club than us - we have offered him improved deals which are clearly no where near what he can get elsewhere, we obviously would have liked him to stay. I think it’s naive to think he is not signing due to a lack of game time or for a new experience- if we offered him a massive wage I am sure he would stay.
You are Alex Hartidge’s brother and I claim my 2 year contract at £200k per annum 😬

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I reckon Alex would be a good fit for AFC Wimbledon.
They’re knocking on the door of the L2 playoffs this season and have Terry Skiverton (ex Yeovil) and also Ashley Bayes (ex us] on their coaching team.
Plus, I could see him strutting his cool stuff in South London.
Good luck to him.
Too far from a beach surely? Plenty good surfing opportunities in the Swansea area.